photo storage

aboutit 10:15 10 Dec 04

I have windows XP Home Intel Celeron 2.30 ghz with 80 gb hard drive and 1 gb memory. I want to store quite a ot of photos on my computer even though I have copied some to CD. If i bought an external HD would I be able to just plug in and use this , would I use drag and drop feature ,what size would be best and compatible and finally what effect would this have on memory.All and any help appreciated in simple terms please

Gongoozler 10:32 10 Dec 04

Hi aboutit. An external hard drive would be fine, but so would an internal drive set as slave to your existing one. The size you need would depend on the resolution and format of the files. If you are using Windows XP, there is no practical limit to the size of drive you can use as long as your BIOS supports it (which it probably does). My 3.2Mp Sony camera produces jpg files of about 700k per picture, so 1000 pictures take 700M, or a 40G drive would hold over 50,000 pictures. Storing the pictures would have almost no effect on your installed RAM, it is only the processing of the pictures that is RAM intensive.

Putting the pictures onto another drive is as simple as drag-and-drop. Whatever location you are dragging the pictures from, I would select the pictures, Ctrl-C to copy them, then Ctrl-V to paste them to the new location, then delete them from the old location. This way I'm in control until I see the pictures in the new location. I would also recommend periodically backing up the photos onto CD as a safety precaution. Hard drives are very reliable, but they do occasionally fail.

aboutit 10:36 10 Dec 04

thakyou that makes everthing clear for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…