Photo scanner

Sam Colt 17:54 24 Jun 05

My old scanner won't work with XP and it was on its last legs anyway so I now need a new one. I have dozens of negatives I would like to scan and I need a general good scanner.
I had started scanning all my old photos but my mate told me scanning the negatives would be a better idea as I was having trouble getting a good copy of the photos.
I was just about to buy an Epson 2580 as its got a negative loader in it or an Epson 2480 but now I've been told that these scanners cannot scan a negative "properly" followed by a lot of technical stuff about light that I can't get my head around. I want good results but I'm not about to submit my efforts to an amateur photography arts exhibition. Or pay £500 for a scanner.
Any advice would be welcome.

zemdarin 18:36 24 Jun 05

I have a CanonScanD 123OUP and it scans slides and negatives fantastic, it is three years old now so the latest scanners would be just as good if not better. I usually scan slides in at around 600 dpi but if you want them bigger you can go higher. Epson are good as well though.

eedcam 18:42 24 Jun 05

Well Sam Ihave an epson rx600 allinone which does negs and slides albeit 35mm only. I am no expert but the results are first class imho .This query keeps surfacing and there is always the technical arguments against Yeh if you are seeking perfection+.But for ordinary better than Boots results then go for it.

chub_tor 18:43 24 Jun 05

I'm a Canon fan too with a D1250U2F. It scans film and slides as well as the regular stuff, the film/slide scanner is built into the lid and only requires the removal of the white backing sheet to bring it into play. I expect the new versions are even better and quicker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac