Photo Printer @ £100 - inkjet or dye sublimation

ditto2 15:13 24 Sep 07

I need a Photo Printer at about £100-ish, I need it only for photographs so would a dedicated photo printer or even a dye sublimation printer (at this price) produce better quality prints than an all purpose photo printer?
I really don't know anything but I've looked at canon's inkjet with 9600x2400dpi and their dye sublimation printer within my budget at 300 x 600 dpi... I'm obviously assuming the inkjet's better or is that fine for postcard size? TIA for advice and any recommendations

jack 16:35 24 Sep 07

A dedicated photo printer is an inkjet with paper size restricted to 6x4 thats all- the printed engine in say an Epson model is probably the same or very close to the full size R series.
It is the said that Dye Sub is the best repro.
but you are once more retricted to size - 6x4 unless you opt for one of the rarer Olympus or other models
Then you may have a supplies issue.
I believe click here do a range of Dyesubs

jack 16:36 24 Sep 07

Dodgey link
try this one
click here

pj123 17:18 24 Sep 07

I have two Epson R220 inkjet printers.

I uploaded 10 of my best photo's to a commercial printer who was offering a free trial (using dye sublimation).

When I got the prints back I printed the same 10 pictures on my R220 using Choice Stationery Instant Dry Photo paper and I could not tell the difference.

jack 08:43 25 Sep 07

Sliding the issue ever so slightly.
Having printer troubles in recent times[now resolved] and needing some A4's rather quickly I uploaded my images to an 'online' print service.
In so doing I realized that I had overlooked to disable 'Shrink Pic'[the automatic resizer] so the print service got a very low rez image indeed.
I was truly amazed therefore to receive 36 hours later some truly impressive photographic prints.
Which cost about 1.20 each
I wondered why I am bothering with printing at all with that kind of service.

ditto2 17:02 25 Sep 07

Thankyou both, something else I found out was that a 300dpi dye sub. printer is equivalent toa 4800dpi inkjet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…