Photo lost during cut and paste

sujiboy 03:30 12 Feb 11

I was transferring photos using cut and paste operation from my camera to PC using USB. The operation was interuppted due to lack of space in my computer hard disk. I now find that more than 75% of the photos missing. How can i recover the photos ?

Forum Editor 07:26 12 Feb 11

you place the file on the clipboard, which means it is temporarily stored in your computer's RAM. The clipboard can only store one item, and that is replaced when you place another item on the clipboard.

When you shut down the machine the contents of the clipboard are lost.

BT 08:45 12 Feb 11

Were the pictures on a memory card?

Its a long shot but you could try a recovery program such as PC Inspector

click here

But as you used Cut and paste it really is a long shot.

You should always Copy files rather than Cut them as its non destructive and you can then delete them from the memory card when you know its been successful.

eedcam 09:51 12 Feb 11

Better still use a card reader instead of mesing with usb and camera

Nontek 13:22 12 Feb 11

If you can use a card-reader as per eedcam's suggestion your card will show up as a 'drive' with a drive letter in your My Computer. Then using this direct download WILL recover your photos after clicking on the cards drive-letter before pressing Start. NB if you click on Cancel at any time, the photos so far recovered will still be accessible ...

click here

BRYNIT 13:50 12 Feb 11

If you are going to transfer pictures from camera or even a flash card to your computer I would advise not to cut and paste.

Open two windows side by side. One for the camera/flash drive and one for the folder on your computer. You can then either copy and paste or just drag the files across, this will always keep a copy on the camera/flask drive preventing the problem of loosing the files. Alway check the files on your computer before deleting them from the camera.

wossie 00:17 13 Feb 11

I cannot believe the advice given on this site at times. Try a program called recuva, free download. Run program, select the type of files you wish (need) to recover, specific location, browse, enable deep scan, then recover to a folder of your choice, create beforehand on a separate drive or you may overwrite if saving to same drive. Cut and deleted files are still there until they are overwriren.

wossie 00:39 13 Feb 11

"Were these pictures on a memory card" no they were on the battery.
"If you can use a card-reader as per eedcam's suggestion your card will show up as a 'drive' with a drive letter in your My Computer"
What do you think the camera showed up as on the PC, a space ship.
A camera is a glorified card reader.

wossie 00:42 13 Feb 11

That should have been "over written" Mental note take off gloves.

BT 08:58 13 Feb 11

This is the most stupid statement. It was a perfectly sensible question. Were the pictures on a memory card OR on the cameras internal memory?

If you can't see that people are trying to help why post such stupid remarks. People try to help when others have problems and if you can't understand this perhaps you should keep quiet. Not everyone understands everything and the suggestions made are perfectly valid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009