Photo Editing Query

TommyRed 20:14 07 May 04

I've scanned in a photograph that I want to touch up, the problem is before I do anything the photograph looks like it's lost some resolution as it looks like lines going across the photo, whereas the original doesn't have any at all. I'm using Photoshop Elements on XP. TIA TR

oldal 20:29 07 May 04

Is the photograph a genuine original ie not a digital copy ? Copies of digital pitures can produce a moire effect.

Totally-braindead 20:50 07 May 04

Have you tried upping the resolution before you scan, I know its probably a daft suggestion so appologies if you've already tried it.

woodchip 21:06 07 May 04

If you have lines I suggest to clean the scanner glass, or the scan sensor may be on it's way out. First try clean then re-scan come back let us know what’s happened

dotterel 21:40 07 May 04

I've seen this effect and it occurred because the image on the screen was scaled down (as a scanned image it is actually a very big picture). The image itself was fine and when I zoomed in to touch it up (sounds rude!) the lines disappeared and in fact the image printed perfectly.

woodchip 21:56 07 May 04

Yes I have also seen that to high resolution when scanned

TommyRed 12:57 10 May 04

Sorry in the delay, haven't been able to get to it until now. Cleaned the glass no change, upped the resolution to 2400dpi in stages no change. The photograph is an original black & white, not a digital copy. What I have noticed is that the lines run from side to side, but if the photo is put onto the scanner turned 90 degrees then the lines run from top to bottom. The scanner is a HP 1210 all-in-one, new last November. TR

woodchip 13:49 10 May 04

The CCD may be sticking a bit as it scans, If it was mine I would take the top off and put a little bit of WD40 on the slides. if its a old scanner it would I think be more likely to happen

stlucia 14:02 10 May 04

Does the scanned image still have lines on it when you print it?

britto 18:08 10 May 04

TommyRed
have a look here faq,
click here
main page
click here

TommyRed 21:29 10 May 04

The scanned image does still have lines going across it when printed.
woodchip/britto. It looks like it could be as described in your replies, as it's still under warranty I'll take it back. Thanks TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…