Photo editing program required.

Totally-braindead 15:51 22 Nov 07

Anyone know of a program that will enhance photos from newsprint. My mum has this old photo of her brother who died about 30 years ago in an accident and its from a newspaper. I realise theres a limitation as to what can be done.
I've got Picassa and Faststone Image Viewer as well as GIMP and Photoshop 6.0 and the scans and printouts aren't that good and I don't know enough about the likes of photoshop to do that much about it.

Does anyone know of a simple program (preferably one click) that will enhance newsprint photos?

MAJ 15:57 22 Nov 07

Try this suggestion for Photoshop, there are a few other suggestions there as well. click here

johnnyrocker 15:59 22 Nov 07

you could try click here

johnny.

HCOOH 16:06 22 Nov 07

Have you got a "moire" filter in photoshop, I am guessing you are trying to remove the dots.

Totally-braindead 16:14 22 Nov 07

Away to try some of your ideas thanks.

Totally-braindead 16:21 22 Nov 07

So far I haven't got on very well with Photoshop anything I do isn't much improvement, of course I'm not really sure of what I'm actually doing as I usually avoid using Photoshop.

Away to try infaview.

eedcam 18:32 22 Nov 07

No Moire filter in Photoshop I usually play around with Gaussian blur under filters or even checkout the noise filters/ Paint shop has More filters and others

Pineman100 19:16 22 Nov 07

When you scanned the photo, did you switch on "de-screen" in your scanning software.

Newspaper photos are usually a pretty coarse screen, and this function will interpolate "infill" information to fill in between the dots.

Depending on your software, you may get the choice of what resolution de-screen will run at - just try various settings to see what gives you the best results.

Totally-braindead 19:57 22 Nov 07

Pineman100 I'll see if thats an option, perhaps in the advanced.

Otherwise no luck, its a pretty poor picture I think I might be wasting my time, but we'll see.

HCOOH 19:58 22 Nov 07

This little programme is free and plugs into a load of photo editors
click here

Technotiger 22:04 22 Nov 07

I have printed several newspaper pics, via my Epson scanner with moire settings and self-made filter - works quite well. Perhaps if you would like to email a copy of it via my envelope I could have a look to see if I can sort it. I have just done a whole load of photos today for a friend, not from newspaper, but old fairly poor quality pics - managed to bring them up like new, well almost! I doubt that any of the regular freebie programs like Irfanview etc would do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…