Phoning from PC to landline phones

trenchard 16:51 01 Mar 05

I have tried to find out how to use my PC for making calls to landline phones. My Broadband supplier suggested trying Google & Yahoo's web pages for information on how to achieve it. All I can find are online phone companys offering cheap calling facilities. They mainly seem to be based in USA.

With dial-up, there used to be an on screen phone dialler to make calls through. BB seems not to have this facility! Has anyone had a similar problem, and found out how to do it?

FelixTCat 17:26 01 Mar 05

Windows has a dialler application which was marginally useful for either dialling bulletin boards (in the good old days) or for dialling when modems had pass-through ports for ordinary phones.

To do this with broadband you need a process called VOIP (Voice Over IP). With some, if both pcs have the same software and are on the net, you can connect directly. To call any landline, however, you will need to sign up with a service provider.

If you want to have a try (and save yourself a fortune in normal telephone charges) see this site: click here

bobbybowls 17:39 01 Mar 05

try skype
click here

trenchard 17:43 01 Mar 05

Your advise makes sense. However your link took me to "1899". My isp is accessed via "1877". The similarity is striking, so I am trying to see if they have the same offer. It may even be the same one!

trenchard

Audeal 17:45 01 Mar 05

I use these two to chat to my brother in Australia. click here : This is an Australian company and click here Skype being the best:

SEASHANTY 19:52 01 Mar 05

There is an illustrated workshop on Skype in the current issue of Computeractive magazine Issue 183.
You will have to be quick tho' if you want to purchase this mag because the new edition will be in the shops this Thursday, March 3rd.

Greengiant 22:51 26 Apr 05

Try this service click here
Or for German click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…