Phones ring when I plug PC in.

76pe 20:01 01 Nov 03

When I moved my Win 98 pc into a different room & plugged the phone wire in to use the Internet, it made all the phones in the house ring constantly. I bought a new cable and the same thing happenend. I tried a different socket in the house. Same. I unplugged all but one phone to lower the REN - same again. I can't therefore get connected to the Internet on it. The little wires in the socket on the PC all seem to be straight and not crossed or anything etc. Has anyone any idea what the problem is, please?

recap 20:15 01 Nov 03

If you plugged the phone in to it's original socket does it make the phones ring?

graham√ 20:15 01 Nov 03

Swop wires 2 and 5.

powerless 20:18 01 Nov 03

graham square tick - he know his connections ;-)

76pe 22:09 01 Nov 03

Don't understand 'swap wires 2 & 5'. And yes, the phones still ring if I plug it into the original socket.

graham√ 22:26 01 Nov 03

This happens when the sockets are not wired correctly. Start at the main socket and check the wiring. The standard wiring is Blue with white rings on 2. White with blue rings on 5. Orange with white rings on 3.

If the wires on 2 and 5 are reversed somewhere you will get this fault.

oglemire 22:26 01 Nov 03

There are two modem cables being straight through and cross over.

graham√ 10:04 02 Nov 03

Sunday morning reflection - 2 and 3 will do it also.

76pe 10:26 02 Nov 03

That's all beyond me I'm afraid - and what I don't understand is why did the PC connect to that same socket perfectly well before I moved the PC to another room, though?

spuds 12:01 02 Nov 03

Possibly a daft question. When you moved your pc, did you knock it, and maybe loosened the modem.Other suggestion,check your wiring and sockets as mentioned above.

graham√ 12:40 02 Nov 03

Forget the sockets for a moment. If you plug the lead in with the PC end not connected, do the phones ring? If not, now connect to the PC. If they ring then, it's a modem fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…