Phone socket - ADSL signal

VickyArm 14:51 14 Feb 06

I've just got a Dell Inspiron laptop, with a Belkin F5D7632uk4 modem/router. I can only get an ADSL connection light on the Belkin if I plug it in to the socket where my USB modem for my PC is. If I plug it in in another room, the light either doesn't light up at all, or flashes a bit then gives up. Am I supposed to be able to plug it in anywhere?
The other room has a filter, then the sky phone plug, then I've plugged my Belkin in after that. Even when I've taken the Sky plug out all together, and plugged the Belkin directly into the filter, there's no joy.
I'd appreciate some advice.
Cheers all

keewaa 16:18 14 Feb 06

All telecoms devices must be filtered or they will interfere with the adsl signal. All phones, faxes, ans machines, sky alarm ....

Sometimes DIY extensions or poor wiring can cause problems.

VickyArm 13:40 15 Feb 06

Thanks, but both of the phone sockets which are in use are filtered. It's a new build, but despite that (!) all the sockets have been fine for phone usage so far, it's just now that I've tried to connect to ADSL.
I think the socket which works is the first entry point into the house - would that socket be "stronger", and if so, does anyone know if this is right or is this something to check with BT?

keewaa 14:32 15 Feb 06

Yes it could be. Here are a couple of interesting (long) posts which look at home telephone wiring.

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now