Phone Scammers (Claiming to be Micrososoft) Still Current

johndrew 12:17 PM 15 Aug 12
Answered

Just an update for any that may not of heard of the scam.

The unavailable/out of area telephone calls with regard to "This is Microsoft .... your PC is infected" scam is still ongoing. I have had at least 5 calls in the last two days from them offering to fix my PC - and I'm certain it would have been fixed.

For those who need to know how to deal with them there are many suggestions in these forums. I either leave them to talk to themselves or tell them to wait whilst I fire up the PC which will take a long time!!

KRONOS the First 12:25 PM 15 Aug 12

I have three PC's yet have not had one phone call,I feel quite unloved.Sob.

onthelimit1 12:39 PM 15 Aug 12
Answer

This was reported a couple of days ago

see thread

johndrew 19:30 PM 15 Aug 12

Chronus

Wish I was unloved by these callers.

derrickross 10:48 AM 17 Aug 12

Got a call like that, too, and I was alarmed that the caller actually had my name and phone number. And he knew I got a Windows pc, too.

I'm wondering if these people actually stalk their victims before they call them. That'd explain how they knew so much about me.

rdave13 10:51 AM 17 Aug 12

derrickross, I doubt very much that they knew you had a Windows PC, it's just odds on that you have.

derrickross 10:58 AM 17 Aug 12

I have already reported the caller to http://www.callercenter.com and I'm wondering if it's necessary to file a complaint with the FTC.

What do you think?

Ventad 11:08 AM 17 Aug 12

If you search on line you can get phone number, name and address of nearly every body including ex-directory numbers so it is just a matter of choosing a name and phoning all the ones that come up. I was quite suppressed when I put in my surname and it all came up and I am ex-directory .

Ventad 11:10 AM 17 Aug 12

Suprised that should have been

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED