Phone Scammers (Claiming to be Micrososoft) Still Current

johndrew 15 Aug 12
Answered

Just an update for any that may not of heard of the scam.

The unavailable/out of area telephone calls with regard to "This is Microsoft .... your PC is infected" scam is still ongoing. I have had at least 5 calls in the last two days from them offering to fix my PC - and I'm certain it would have been fixed.

For those who need to know how to deal with them there are many suggestions in these forums. I either leave them to talk to themselves or tell them to wait whilst I fire up the PC which will take a long time!!

KRONOS the First 15 Aug 12

I have three PC's yet have not had one phone call,I feel quite unloved.Sob.

onthelimit1 15 Aug 12
Answer

This was reported a couple of days ago

see thread

johndrew 15 Aug 12

Chronus

Wish I was unloved by these callers.

derrickross 17 Aug 12

Got a call like that, too, and I was alarmed that the caller actually had my name and phone number. And he knew I got a Windows pc, too.

I'm wondering if these people actually stalk their victims before they call them. That'd explain how they knew so much about me.

rdave13 17 Aug 12

derrickross, I doubt very much that they knew you had a Windows PC, it's just odds on that you have.

derrickross 17 Aug 12

I have already reported the caller to http://www.callercenter.com and I'm wondering if it's necessary to file a complaint with the FTC.

What do you think?

Ventad 17 Aug 12

If you search on line you can get phone number, name and address of nearly every body including ex-directory numbers so it is just a matter of choosing a name and phoning all the ones that come up. I was quite suppressed when I put in my surname and it all came up and I am ex-directory .

Ventad 17 Aug 12

Suprised that should have been

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to set up Apple Music & make sure you don't get charged: Get Apple Music for free

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message