Phone line. Is it analogue or digital?

Vikingar 20:19 22 Mar 05

Hello everyone, This is my first posting in the forum.
I bought a new Laptop Computer today and it states that the modem (56K) can only be used on an analogue phone line, not a digital one. Since lunchtime I've spent hours holding the line on BT's customer service number,and still haven't been able to speak to anyone to try to find out which type I have. All I know is that it's a plain old ordinary BT landline.
I'd really appreciate it, if someone could help. Thank you very much.

octal 20:55 22 Mar 05

Its likely your phone line is part of the Public Switched Telephone Network - The regular telephone system. In which case its analogue.

Have you tried connecting to an ISP (Internet Service Provider) via the modem?

sattman 20:55 22 Mar 05

If you are on analogue your connection will be as
click here

If you are digital it will like this
click here

Totally-braindead 20:58 22 Mar 05

If its a standard phone line as you say then its analogue.

Buchan 35 21:14 22 Mar 05

thanks for the master class ;-))

bemuzed 21:28 22 Mar 05

If you have an ordinary telephone line it is analogue. If you have ISDN you cannot use your modem. If you work in an office wiht aPBX it is likely that your line is digital.

Jak_1 21:59 22 Mar 05

Above answers are correct, bt lines are analogue. At present BT have begun the Network 21 build, this will be fibre optic. I will ask one of our friendly BT engineers in the exchange where I work if the new build is going to be digital as I suspect it is. It will be some time before it all goes live so no need to throw away those modems for a while yet.

selfbuild 22:13 22 Mar 05

I was under the impression bt lines are analogue unless they have been broadband enabled in which case they will be digital..... hence the reason for adsl filters......

Jak_1 22:18 22 Mar 05

selfbuild, yup that is correct.

Vikingar 20:06 23 Mar 05

Very many thanks everyone. It is an analogue line, thank goodness. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but the PC I'm using is in desperate need of some TLC.
Catriona.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now