Phone line interference and drop connection?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:14 18 May 06

Hoping someone else may have had a similar problem and may have found a solution.

We have two PC's both on XP.
One ADSL modem which we plug into which ever PC we want to use the internet on. The modem has been correctly installed to both PC's and both can connect to the internet.

The problem is, whilst we have microfilters on every phone socket, there is an interference 'noise' (similar to that if you ring a fax) on the phone line when we are making or taking a tel call.

Sometimes this also has the effect of dropping any existing broadband internet session running on whichever PC is linked up at the time.

Any ideas please?

Jackcoms 19:19 18 May 06

Faulty filter/s?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:25 18 May 06

We've replaced the filters about 3 times now - as suggested by Wanadoo (who seem to have run out of suggestions by the way).

Jackcoms 19:27 18 May 06

Noise on the line??

Speak to BT (or whoever your telcom provider is)??

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:40 18 May 06

I believe the line has already been checked - again Wanadoo say they have had this check done. But can I trust that? They've promised to supply two filters FOC but never came.

Graham ® 19:50 18 May 06

A friend had the same problem. I raised a fault for him with BT - intermittent noise. BT promptly closed this fault as the robot tester didn't find anything.

So we raised another, this then becomes a repeat fault, and is treated differently.

Eventually, they had to dig the verge up in three places to repair 3 faults. No problems since.

You can raise a fault and monitor the progress at

realist 21:01 18 May 06

You could have BT fit a pre-filtered master socket and extension(s) Not easy to get them to do it but worthwhile, if expensive. We don't need any to use plug-in filters here and everything works fine.

Dipso 21:21 18 May 06

Do you connect through telephone extensions rather than the BT Master socket? I wonder whether it could be a problem with your internal phone wiring.

Have you tried connecting your modem and a microfilter to the test socket behind the BT faceplate. If you don't get the noise then, it's the internal wiring. click here shows you how to remove unecessary wires from the faceplate and other sockets.

Re: the BT filtered faceplate. This can be bought and fitted by yourself. There is a guide how to do it click here

JaßîsFaß ˜ 17:08 21 May 06

When you say a repeat fault is treated differently, in what way?

rsinbad 17:35 21 May 06

could be SNR click here

rsinbad 17:37 21 May 06

sorry this seams to have been posted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…