phone dialler and cable modem

rpj 16:24 13 Feb 04

I have an external cable modem to connect to the Internet and want to use the 56k modem to dial speech calls from my PC address book. MS Help says I need thrid party software to do this but won't suggest a programme. I am running Win XP. Any ideas..?

jon2 18:05 13 Feb 04

Try willowpond they have free phone dialers

jon2 18:08 13 Feb 04

that is willowpond.com

rpj 18:32 13 Feb 04

Many thanks for the response. I have had a quick look at Willow Phone but I don't think it will do what I want.

What I need is something that allows me to stay connected to the internet on the cable modem and still use the 56k modem to dial out on my phone line. I can then use the handset for the actual voice call.

canard 22:27 13 Feb 04

Win98 SE has a dialler -programmes-accessories-communications-phone dialer with which you can use your cable BB and twitter to your near and dear. Surely all the later Win os must have this too? Have you looked on your win installation disc if dialler not already installed?

DieSse 22:36 13 Feb 04

Why do it this way? - you can make a voice call across the net at lower cost. If it's from PC to PC you will not be paying anything extra at your end, as you're on-line anyway. If it's to a real phone you can get excellent rates - and you can even do freephone calls to another country, which you can't normally do on real phones.

Loads of suitable programs - you can also use MSMessenger to do voice.

rpj 12:02 14 Feb 04

Canard.

Thanks for your response.
XP does have a dialler programme, my problem is getting it to use the modem, seems as thought XP can only use one connection at a time (i.e EITHER cable modem OR 56k dial up modem)without 3rd party software.

DieSse
Thanks for your input.
I have unlimited phone calls on my regular phone line and all I want is to be able to use the PC to dial the numbers. BUt I'll certainly check out your suggestion anyway.

DieSse 12:38 14 Feb 04

I managed to make my dialer (with XP) dial out on my dial-up modem, even with an ADSL modem connected - it just worked.

rpj 13:54 14 Feb 04

How did you set up the Dial Up connection?

I have tried to enable the modem in "Control Panel/ Network Connections" and in "Control Panel/Printers and Other Hardware/Phone and Modem Options" but I get "no dial tone" or "could not connect" messages when I try to dial out from Phone Dialler.

DieSse 14:35 14 Feb 04

Yu don't normally have to "setup" a dialler. If the modem is working (ie installed correctly and not faulty) - then it should be able to dial out.

If you're getting "no dial-tone" - then I think you should investigate why.

Try removing and re-installing the modem.

anon1 15:19 14 Feb 04

Start-all programs-accessories-communications then hyper terminal. set it up and there you go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…