phone conversation via computer speakers.

Ray5776 18:32 16 Jun 07

Hello everyone,
A bit of a strange topic I know.
I was sitting next to my 21yr old daughter who was on the phone to her friend, I had no intention of listening to her conversation as I respect her privacy.
Obviously as she is only a few feet away I pick up the gist in the background, part of which is "dad is here, he has a thing on his computer that lets him listen to the phone line, it plays through the speakers"
So when she had finished I asked her what she meant about playing the phone via the computer, the answer
was "you used to be able to do it"
I have a vague recollection of being able to do this about five years back, I have no idea how to do it now nor do I particularly wish to.
Has anyone experience of this.

ray

Technotiger 18:36 16 Jun 07

Hi, perhaps she is thinking of Messenger or Skype or something similar.

Technotiger 18:39 16 Jun 07

Or something like this ...

click here

Technotiger 18:43 16 Jun 07

Or finally perhaps this ...

click here

VoG II 18:43 16 Jun 07

Years ago I had a Packard Bell that came with telephony software- you could dial by clicking on a virtual keyboard and converse using the mic and loudspeakers...

... the novelty soon wore off.

Jackcoms 18:45 16 Jun 07

I still have this on my Dell PC but never use it click here

Ray5776 18:46 16 Jun 07

Tech,
I don`t think it was, as I say my recollection of this is vague but I do recall hearing a phone conversation via my speakers.
This was not something I set out to do so it was a fluke of somekind but she remembers it unlike myself.

Ray5776 18:56 16 Jun 07

I don`t have any of these things but my daughter insists that I used to click on something and hear the phone via the speakers.
At the time I was using win2000 pro.
Puzzling me!

Jackcoms 19:11 16 Jun 07

Perhaps something to do with being able to listen to incoming phone calls via your 'old' dial-up modem?

Ray5776 19:24 16 Jun 07

Good point Jackcoms, I think you have it there.

Ray5776 19:55 16 Jun 07

It was a matter of interest rather than a problem.
I will close it now .
Thanks

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…