Phone cables - which bit is wrong?

Sir Radfordin 19:28 04 Feb 05

Have just come back from a friends who has had a DIY extension put in the house for the telephone by the wifes dad. Telephone can make calls on new point but the modem on the computer comes back and says no dial tone.

The cable goes from the BT socket on the ground floor into an ADSL filter into an adaptor from RJ11 to the litte telephone one (!!) and then up the wall to a telephone point. I suspect that is where the problem lies because it is the only bit self-made but don't understand why the phone is ok and not the modem.

(Don't ask why the modem if ADSL it's a complex one!)

Noelg23 19:31 04 Feb 05

ok so lets get this right, someone has done a DIY job and only the phone works and not the modem? ok does this person have broadband for their internet or is it dial up? sound confusing even for me...and I work for BT but this sounds weird...please be more specific...

stalion 19:40 04 Feb 05
  RJay 19:55 04 Feb 05

Each telephone socket should have a microfilter fitted according to my adsl broadband provider.
Also if microfilters are fitted to both sockets try switching them around

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 04 Feb 05

Filter at wrong end

modem cannot connect because trying to get through cable that is only connected to telephone socket on filter.

socket to cable to telephone point filter in telephone point modem in one point on filter and telephone in other

Graham ® 20:07 04 Feb 05
  Sir Radfordin 00:30 05 Feb 05

Sorry for the misunderstandings. The modem is a 56k modem and not an ADSL modem. The ADSL works fine, as does the telephone. The 56k modem however doesn't detect a dial tone on the line. Forcing it to dial without waiting for the dial tone doesn't make any difference. I know all the bits are in the right place but think the DIY point may have the cables in the wrong order or not properly joined. Just don't know which!

Migwell 03:42 05 Feb 05

Buy another modem they don't cost much. I had something like this and bought a new modem and that proved what was wrong. Always handy to have another at hand. Also driver instalation Take out the old driver and run the disk again. Possably before going out to buy the new one. But I still think you will find that the modem is gooshed.

Pusherman 07:52 05 Feb 05

Sometimes the modem tries to dial before it can detect a dial tone, so it may be necessary to put a slight delay before it tries to dial. In other words tell the modem to wait for a dial tone. I'm assuming you are using XP. In Network connections left click your connection icon so you can get into its properties. Here you will see what tel number you are dialing, what country code you are using etc. Put a tick in the 'Dialing rules' check box and press the dialing rules button. There will be a list of locations (probably only one called My Location) select it and click Edit. In the dialing rules there is a box which you can fill in which tells the compter what number you have to dial in order to get an outside line, for domestic uses this is normaly left blank - in here put a single comma. This tell the modem to wait for one second before it attempts to dial which may be long enough for a dial tone to register on the line. We humans instinctively wait for a dial tone before we dial whereas your modem may be just a little bit too quick.

This has helped me in the past so I hope it helps you!

Regards,

Pusherman.

Graham ® 09:41 05 Feb 05

Could the modem lead be faulty or the wrong type?

FelixTCat 10:25 05 Feb 05

How many pieces of telephony equipment are connected to the line? Each item has a REN (Ringer Equivalence Number), usually 1 and a line can only operate with a total REN of 4. Whilst strictly exceeding this number means that the phones won't ring properly, it may also affect the modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…