Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…
I received an email with an attachment stating "WE have discovered administrator violation into your account" Is this a phishing exercise? I deleted at once. Thanks for any info given in advance.
Probably a virus click here
You did the right thing.
Thanks fellows. I say fellows because I know you guys are. Not being sexist here. Thanks for putting my mind at rest. Will close now and tick.
Recieved the following from Tiscali:
Although you most likely have anti-spam and anti-virus protection on your mailbox and PC, we strongly recommend that you read the security update and guidelines below to make sure that you do not become a victim of fraudsters or hackers.
This week has seen the outbreak of a new worm called the MyTob worm. To Tiscali customers the email uses forged tiscali.co.uk email addresses to make the email look genuine. Genuine emails sent from Tiscali do not contain attachments.
The forged emails typically appear to be sent from [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] or similar and they contain an attachment that you are encouraged to click on. DO NOT click on any such attachment and resist the temptation to even open such suspicious mail if it contains an attachment.
Message subjects to be wary of include:
- YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT IS SUSPENDED FOR SECURITY REASONS
- Account Alert
- Security measures
- Fw: Notice: **Last Warning**
- DETECTED* Online User Violation
- Important Notification
- *WARNING* Your Email Account Will Be Closed
This list is by no means exhaustive so please be wary if you are in doubt. The operation of this worm is described in great detail in this useful article from The Register
How to check your PC for possible infection
If you already have Norton Internet Security or Norton Anti-Virus running on your PC then:
1) Download the new updates for Norton using Live Updates.
2) Run a full system scan on your PC.
3) If Norton detects the presence of the worm on your PC then it should allow you to clean the virus automatically.
If it doesn't, or if you are not running Norton anti-virus software or any other anti-virus software, then Symantec have provided a manual disinfection tool which you can download here.
Alternatively download the latest updates from your anti-virus software vendor.
Important guidelines on using email safely
- Don't open attachments from anyone unless you are 100% confident that they are safe, or have scanned them for viruses
- Your bank or ISP will never ask you for your bank details in an email. Do not respond to such emails even though they may appear to be from your bank or ISP. These emails are spoof mails sent by fraudsters who use the domains of companies you trust to attempt to retrieve personal information. If in doubt, call the company that claims to have sent the email to double check.
- Be wary of sharing personal or sensitive information with anyone you meet over the internet.
- Don't respond to emails requesting your password, banking details or any other security details.
- If you're checking your email from an Internet café be sure to log out of your account and close the browser before leaving.
- Routinely review your credit card and bank statements.
- If you don't have anti-spam, anti-virus or a personal firewall on your PC, we strongly recommend that you buy it. Click here to buy Norton Internet Security at exclusive Tiscali prices.
- Report suspected abuses of your personal information to the company which has been spoofed and to the Internet Fraud Complaint Centre at click here.
For more helpful advice on Internet security, the latest security warnings and updates, please visit our Security Centre.
The Tiscali Team
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.