Phishing e-mail - Advice required

six-h 18:06 06 Dec 07

I've received an advice from my bank that my profile has been suspended, and to click on a link to re-validate it!
I phoned the bank, and as suspected, it's a bogey!
They have asked me to forward it to their security people so stha they can trace it, how do I do that from within Gmail without any feedback to the phisher's server??
In outlook express, I can just right click on the message without opening it, and select the option to forward, this isn't available in Gmail.

Clapton is God 18:10 06 Dec 07

Copy/paste the e-mail into a new e-mail in OE and send from there.

six-h 18:11 06 Dec 07

Thanks for that, but would it give the securety people the presumably hidden data they require to trace the source??

Clapton is God 18:13 06 Dec 07

Copy/paste first and see if you can view the properties of the sender's address before e-mailing it to the bank

octal 18:14 06 Dec 07

The proper way to forward an email like that so it can be traced is to open the email in Outlook Express then to view the headers then copy and paste the complete information into a new email, that way all the email headers in the original email are preserved, but there is no way you can do that in web mail. If you are using Googlemail you can use Outlook Express to open emails.

DieSse 18:22 06 Dec 07

Just forward it - there's nothing to worry about.

six-h 18:46 06 Dec 07

Clapton is God, Thanks, Done as you said, but details not shown.
If they need anything more, I've asked them to advise how to forward it to them without risk to me!
octal, Only if you have already set it up to access your g-mail account, and I haven't ..:-(

DieSse 19:30 06 Dec 07

"I've asked them to advise how to forward it to them without risk to me!"

Forwarding it directly from your gmail web account is of no risk to you at all.

All these phishing emails are designed to do is to entice you to their fake site, and to enter your bank details. If you don't do this you are not exposed in any way.

six-h 20:05 06 Dec 07

As I've already said, there is no facility to "forward mail" when right clicking the message in G-mail.

six-h 20:09 06 Dec 07

>> All these phishing emails are designed to do is to entice you to their fake site, and to enter your bank details. If you don't do this you are not exposed in any way. <<

Not so.
If you for instance click to "show pictures", the phisher's server then is aware that your e-mail address is legit, and I'm not too sure, but other detals that I would prefer Phishers not to have could possibly also be made available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac