Is this Phishing?

Jomi 09:10 06 Feb 05

I received this in my email this morning:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information.
Failure to update your records will result in account termination. Please update your records within 24 hours. Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems.
Please click here to update your billing records.

It had what looks like the paypal logo etc - but that would be easy to clone. When I followed the link there was no little padlock to show a secure site.
What do you think? Phishermen?

ACOLYTE 09:13 06 Feb 05

Can you contact paypal by some other means to check the email and see if your account needs updating?.

Ballie 09:17 06 Feb 05

I would not follow any link on emails sent to me that claim to come from paypal or ebay etc if you do need to update anything with pay paypal go to their page (not by using the link) and update there. If you go to the paypal page you will find phone numbers for them on there I have phoned them before and they are very helpful.

Jomi 09:32 06 Feb 05

I've been to the paypal site (via ebay) and there security policy claims their email will address me by name (this one used my email name)and they also give similar advice to Ballie which is to log on at the site and not follow any link in the email.

Well I DID follow the link in the email but only to check the address, which is slightly different i.e. from ebey the paypal address begins with https but the email one begins with http.

I forwarded the suspicious email to paypals 'spoof' reporting address so at least if it's a genuine email they'll know the reason why I didn't update my details.

Thank you for the advice so far - I'll leave the posting open for a while.

Jomi 11:32 06 Feb 05

Just received a message from paypal telling me that the email I received was a bogus mail and not sent by paypal.
They said they would investigate this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…