Phillips DVD+RW SDVD8820

i.tech 18:28 23 Nov 07

Hi,

I've had nothing but trouble with the Phillips DVD+RW SDVD8820 on my advent laptop. Burning software such as Nero and even Windows itself do not recognise the drive as capable of writing data of any kind. I am able to create data and audio cd's through Windows Media Center only (not Media Player though?!) and am unable to write DVD's of any kind. I've thought about updating the driver but have been unable to find one- in fact all my searches have brought up so far are forum posts where people are askin this very same question... but with no results!!

Any ideas? PC Advisor helproom has yet to let me down so thought i'd give it a shot.

Thanks

SANTOS7 18:37 23 Nov 07

Would beg the question then if the RW is not busted, if your lappy is still under any warranty i would look into that.

Have you tried uninstalling the device from device manager robooting and letting windows detect it again.

updating drivers is for me a last resort, you only need the generic drivers supplied by your O/S for optical devices to work properly, some firnware updates have been known to go wrong which could render you Optical drive conpletely useless...

i.tech 19:13 23 Nov 07

Thanks for the advice.

Slight improvement- Windows Media Player now detects that I have a device capable of burning media however Nero still does not- even when clicking to copy a CD it selects 'Phillips DVD+-RW SDVD8820' as source drive but cannot select it as destination- only save an ISO file to the HDD?! Additionally I am still unable to burn DVD's through Windows Media Centre.

If you think its a Hardware fault then I will look into replacing it- unfortuantly the laptop is no longer under warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…