phillips 5101 cd/dvd combo dma settings

hugh-265156 00:27 06 Jun 03

i have windows xp.phillips 5101. my cd drive is supposed to support UDMA66 and is set as master on ide2.hard drive master on ide1. just noticed the cd drive is listed as PIO mode4 in device manager,i have dma if available ticked and auto detect.

all works ok.does this sound right?im not sure.

AndySD 01:29 06 Jun 03

You may need to enable DMA in the BIOS/Setup but if its working with no problems why bother.

hugh-265156 01:34 06 Jun 03

its set as auto detect in the bios and there is no option to enable dma in the bios that i can find,just in device manager.

i was just curious as i had read that if its set as pio then it may be a hardware problem.

AndySD 02:02 06 Jun 03
  hugh-265156 02:10 06 Jun 03

For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device

thats why then i guess.i was having problems a while back,backing up to cdrw.must have tried about six times,then all of a sudden it worked!

will leave it as is.thanks AndySD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…