Philips mp3 player probs

Newuser2 15:15 13 Jun 06

My Philips hdd mp3 player is not allowing me to delete any old files or install any new files.
I've tried WMP & Philips Go Gear Music box but to no avail. Safely remove hardware says to its safe to disconnect but the screen on the mp3 says to reconnect to PC.
Any help much appreciated.

vinnyT 11:41 14 Jun 06

Is there a reset button or sequence to press? This will bring it back to original condition. Not perfect, but if nothing else works.

Hope this helps.

Newuser2 16:27 14 Jun 06

Thanks vinnyT
Tried all the resets etc.
I have a suspicion that the HD has gone.
Sods law its just out of warranty a & Philips want £99 to repair it.
Its all ready been back for repair last January.
I,m not a fan of Philips you'll be surprised to hear.

vinnyT 15:20 15 Jun 06

Sorry that didn't work.

Trawl the net using google (or other) for mp3 modding sites, maybe someone has done something with your model (or similar) and you can salvage/repair it yourself.

Good luck.

Newuser2 16:00 15 Jun 06

After 999 attempts its finally allowed me to reformat the drive, but when I try to repair using Philips software I get an error saying that WMP10 is still accessing the drive.
Any ideas on how to shut down WMP10 & also Philips GoGear in case they are both trying to access the unit.

Newuser2 19:43 15 Jun 06

I contacted Philips support, they intimate the problem is probably my PC, funny that as everything else works perfectly OK.
I've asked Philips to repair the device, I'm waiting for their reply.
They are avoiding the issue at the moment.

vinnyT 15:52 16 Jun 06

Sorry, only just logged on

Not sure, but with the device plugged in, try pressing the ctrl-alt-delete keys (together) to access the windows task manager. Check if wmp is running in the applications pannal, if it is, highlight and end task.

If it isn't under the apps panal, check the processes panal (next along) and see what is running in there, you may have to do some googling to find out what some of the processes are, but if any are wmp, highlight and end task.

Hope this helps, cause I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Newuser2 20:02 16 Jun 06

vinnyT thanks for your help.
Philips tech support is about as useful as a wet blanket.
I've goggled and found a few sites with references to the device, the overriding perception is its a piece of junk.
Philips have told me to send it back for repair, they will charge me £99 for the privilege.
I don't think so, I'll fight with it a while more & if all fails I'll bin it & buy a new MP3, but not a Philips.

vinnyT 14:41 17 Jun 06

Welcome, sorry it didn't work out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…