Philips DVD+-RW DVD 8631

pj1664 22:12 18 Sep 05

I have the above drive in my pc, recently its been very "moody" it will auto play a game or any disk and mostly it just sits doing nothing and keeps saying please insert disk, eventough the disk is in the system. I have gone to RUN and insert D:\Autorun.exe and it just says there is no disk in drive D??????? I have win xp home srvice pack 2 with a HT tech. 3 ghz processor. Has anyone encountered this problem? and perhaps have come up with a solution. Please advice.Thank you.

Terry Brown 22:19 18 Sep 05

The only things I can think of at the moment are either the Drive door is not closing properly (check to see if the door is flush with the front (It might be slightly buckled)or / and give a blast of air to the internals to clean any acumulated dust etc (I use a bicycle pump with a ball adapter to get a blast of air); or the drive is on the way out

woodchip 22:32 18 Sep 05

Try a different Ribbon cable

pj1664 08:06 19 Sep 05

Well I have check the drive door and also changed the ribbon, no difference. The computer is only 9 months old, I shouldn't have to change things in it, there must be some setting that may need tweeking. I have been to the drive properties but can't find what would make it tick properly.

Charlie Babbage 08:53 19 Sep 05

Have you looked to see if there is any 'read.me' file that might help or tried the Philips website?

pj1664 08:58 19 Sep 05

I have been on Philips web site and they don't seem to have anything related to my drive, not even updated drivers. so much for Philips.

woodchip 10:29 19 Sep 05

Have you tried removing the Drive from Device Manager then restart computer for it to reinstall the drive

pj1664 12:03 19 Sep 05

Yes, I have tried that as well but no difference

pj1664 17:59 19 Sep 05

All you computer wizz, anymore ideas?

woodchip 18:23 19 Sep 05

It sounds like you may need a firmware update

woodchip 18:25 19 Sep 05

Or if you have been playing a lot of CD games it may just that thr drive is worn out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…