//some 3rd party need geo

Phantom stuff on disc

VCR97 21:51 28 Nov 04

I have a SmartDisk Firelite external USB disc which I want to use for system backup using Norton Ghost. I did a backup which showed errors when verified with Backup Image Browser. I decided to delete the file from the USB disc using Windows Explorer as instructed in the manual. The file disappeared from WE but when I went to the USB disc's properties I saw that it still showed umpteen MB of used space. I thought that this would probably sort itself out but a restart didn't alter things. I did another backup and when I checked properties it showed 2x umpteen although WE is showing only umpteen. Any ideas, please?

VCR97 19:37 01 Dec 04

Well, that seems to have baffled everyone.

Valvegrid 19:46 01 Dec 04

I'm not sure if this helps:

click here

Valvegrid 19:50 01 Dec 04

Sorry, that link didn't go as for as I wanted it to, if you pick Portable Hard Drives>Firelite USB and click on 'I have a corrupted file on my SmartDisk hard drive'.

Technotiger 19:59 01 Dec 04

Hi, I am not familiar with that particular hardware, but, have you tried re-formatting the usb disk rather than just deleting the contents? lol

VCR97 20:09 01 Dec 04

Valvegrid: the link doesn't open. It mutters about a timeout. I'll try later.

Technotiger: I tried that but Windows tells me that I can't format 'cos something is using the disc. Don't know what it can be as I shut down everything and the disc hasn't been used for anything apart from Ghost.

Technotiger 20:14 01 Dec 04

Hi again, not sure, just a suggestion, but - unplug disk>restart pc>plug in disk, in different usb port if possible>try reformat again. Good luck.

VCR97 22:25 01 Dec 04

I finally got to that site but the long way round. I tried their suggestion and found that chkdsk wouldn't run. I decided to try Technotiger's last suggestion and whilst doing that I found that the disc file system had somehow become RAW. I don't know if that is an abbreviation or if it means raw in the sense of empty. I tried to CONVERT to NTFS but that isn't available with RAW. I then tried FORMAT e: /fs:ntfs and that worked, much to my surprise. So I can now try my Ghost backup again with fingers crossed. Thanks for the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…