Phantom send / receive

BSW 12:56 10 Oct 04

Whenever I establish a dial-up connection my machine immediately starts to send and receive data, typically send 5000 bytes and sometimes receives as many or sometimes far less. Who is it "talking" to ? How can I find out. I'm running XP SP2 and have McAfee Anti Virus Pro 8, Spy Bot Search & Destroy, AdAware 6 and MailWasher. None of which can find a problem. Auto update is turned off in Windows and all the above. Any ideas ? It's really bugging me.

stalion 13:08 10 Oct 04

try a scan with this
click here

Valvegrid 14:42 10 Oct 04

You need a firewall which keeps an eye on what wants to connect to the Internet as well as blocking incoming. I don't believe the XP firewall is very good at checking outgoing, so disable the XP firewall and install either Sygate or ZoneAlarm so that if there's anything that wants to connect its got to ask permission.

click here

click here

BSW 12:40 11 Oct 04

Thanks for the responses. I've installed Zone Alarm and found that the machine is connecting to 239.255.255.250 which is MCAST-NET. I've searched Google for more info on this and it is the proverbial "can of worms". Anyway I've decided to live with it for the moment as it doesn't seem to be harmful.

Cheers. BSW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…