Phantom Folder

slydog 19:50 08 Dec 03

When I leave my PC running Win XP idle for a while, My AVG virus checker diplays a message that there is lovesan virus in file c:\system volume information\_restore ******\A0047317.exe. and that I should run AVG to remove it. However when I run AVG no virus is found. although the folder System Volume Infromation is diplayed in the scan path. Now heres the rub. The scan always fails to detect a virus and when I try to find this folder and file via a search using windows search it cannot be found, nor is it diplayed in the explorer directory tree. Has anyone got an explanation for this, Ive tried searching several times now to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated many thanks.

Slydog

VoG II 19:52 08 Dec 03

It is in a restore point. You need to disable System Restore, run AVG to be sure it's gone then re-enable System Restore click here

slydog 20:55 08 Dec 03

Many thanks Vog why didn't I think of that. Now thats a question you can't answer.
I will sort that out as soon as I get back home.

Cheers

slydog 00:26 09 Dec 03

Hmm turned offf the sytem restore and AVG still hasn't found an infected file and I still can't view the system volume information folder. Does turning off the system restore automatically delete the stored backup files, and why can't I view the folder.
Dos't know anybody.

Gaz 25 00:40 09 Dec 03

You can see the folder by allowing the view of hidden and system folders, but you will not be able to delete it.

Disabling Sys restore should have wiped the restore points.

Renable it now, and ensure AVG is running and up-to-date.

pc moron 00:44 09 Dec 03

You can see the System Volume Information folder by choosing to view hidden files- Contol Panel> File Types> View.

If you turn off System Restore then, yes, you'll delete all of your Restore Points.

AVG might be making a false-call here, I don't know.

If you want to gain access to the System Volume Folder then click here

slydog 01:00 09 Dec 03

Thanks guys, that was my next question as access to this folder is denied. Have checked it now and you are right it is empty except for a tracking file. So all should be well now
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…