phantom DVD drive

Ray5776 22:00 14 Nov 05

Hellom everyone,
anyone got ideas on this? not easy to explain so bear with me please. In My Computer I can see the drives I have A=floppy C=HD D=cd E=DVD F=HD2 G=DVD.
Every now and then at random drive H appears in the list, I dont have a drive H. It "H" appears as a cd drive and if I put a disc into E it will play. It seems like the player does not know whether it is E or H. Not a real problem on its own but sometimes the H drive will take the place of my F drive (secondary HD) so that I cannot access it, usually sorts on reboot but I am puzzled. Hope you got the gist of this, look forward to any suggestions.

Ray

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:20 14 Nov 05

Control panel -hardware -device manager - uninstll the IDE channels the drives are on

and then

Action -scan for hardware changes, XP will then reinstall the drives

and this should overcome your problem.

Ray5776 22:28 14 Nov 05

Thanks Fruit bat, I am using win2kpro, not sure how to do it on this system.
ray

Ray5776 23:04 14 Nov 05

Hi Fruit Bat, I have done as you said using win2k but device manager shows four cd/dvd drives, I only have three. Tempted as I am to obliterate the mystery one I shall for the moment proceed with caution. Any further ideas wellcome.
ray

ACOLYTE 01:12 15 Nov 05

Does it show any SCSI and raid controllers in device manager,one could be a virtual cd drive.

jimv7 08:59 15 Nov 05

Do you have nero, as nero installs an 'image' drive to write to if you do not want to use a new cd/dvd.

Ray5776 11:05 15 Nov 05

Hi again, thanks for the new responses, I do have Nero installed. The extra drive is called "VOBID Instantdrive CD SCSI Cd Rom Device" it sounds to me that it is a virtual drive, in which case can I just
remove it.

ACOLYTE 11:10 15 Nov 05

These drives are added by software you have installed,maybe nero more likly dvddecrypter or cloncd or similar program.I dont know if you can remove it without the program that installed it not working you may be able to,you could try dissabling it in device manager see if that helps.

Ray5776 16:17 15 Nov 05

Thanks everyone, I have disabled it, seems to have sorted things

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…