PHANTOM ACTIVITY

fazza8 12:32 31 May 04

Occasionally when I come to my computer, the hard disk is whizzing away and something is happening. The computer is slow as well. I have a broadband connection and am frequently downloading from Emule, although when I checked nothing was downloading. I checked on task manager but it showed no programmes were running. Should I be worried about this?

stalion 15:09 31 May 04

pbmu

fazza8 15:26 31 May 04

PBMU? Cryptic answer. Me no understand or mnu

VoG II 15:29 31 May 04

I think it was a dyslexic "bump" for you.

How long does the whizzing last? It could be just restore points being created or similar.

Do you have Microsoft Office with Fast Searching enabled? Or GoBack?

stalion 15:29 31 May 04

just typed to put your post to the top of the list to get you an answer.Regards

fazza8 16:11 31 May 04

Ta Stalion. I use Office 2003 but I have not deliberately selected Fast searching. It goes on for quite a bit.

VoG II 16:15 31 May 04

Fast searching is on by default.

Start Word, File/File Search, click on Search options and tick the No box for Indexing Service.

dagwoood 22:50 31 May 04

Fazza8, as per VoG™'s posting, it could be your system creating/managing restore points.

I noticed this happening on my system if I left it on for a while but I wasn't using it. I did the same as you and checked in task manager as to what my pc was doing and making sure there was no internet activity(I assumed someone was hacking my system or I had some spyware that was "phoning home").

I've since found out that if my system is idle for exactly 15 minutes, that's when the disk activity starts. If I haven't created a restore point in the last 24 hours, it will create one and invariably I find when I go into defrag, my disk will be defragmented and I will have recovered some memory on my hard disk(sometimes as much as 200mb).

Perhaps someone else could expand on this, but I think it's down to how xp manages data contained in restore points. It may also be related to xp creating backups of registry settings, as xp does this in anticipation of a system failure and you need to use the "Last Known Good Configuration" option in safe mode.

As to your system slow down, if it is related to the above, try a defrag because as I've said, my disk can become heavily fragmented.

dagwoood.

Newuser1970 00:31 01 Jun 04

I had a similar situation that went on for months and eventually by chance I found a trojon in my windows temp files. Also it was in my Add/delete list as 'bridge'. I was able to delete it from both and have had no trouble since.

Try Spybot.
Good Luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5