Personal tutor, any chance?

Revi 10:52 16 Oct 04

I do not live in the U.K. Is there any one who through time to time internet mail could help me build up a relatively simple website, teach me how to get it hosted and maintain my site? I have tried reading books and self-study but have inevitably got stuck at some point. I am now convinced that without some one’s continuous guidance I would never be able to build & host my site.

spuds 11:08 16 Oct 04

Why not inform us as to the country that you reside in, perhaps there is someone nearer to home who can offer better assistance, especially on a one-to-one basis.

But possibly upto 150,000 of them?

Ok not that many but i bet if you put your problem here there is some cleaver person that could help you out in some way shape or form.

Forum Editor 18:52 16 Oct 04

Post back with a little more detail - for instance, do you have a domain name, what is your level of knowledge regarding site design, do you have any design software etc?

Revi 22:57 16 Oct 04

Many thanks for your offer to help. I have previously got my website done by a professional but I am not satisfied. So I have bought a new domain name with the intention of building and hosting/maintaining my own site quite independantly of my old site. My knowledge of software is at a beginner's level. I would like you to suggest me the names of books and sofware I should aquire so that I could get started right away.

Forum Editor 23:06 16 Oct 04

I recommend that you take a look at NetObjects Fusion and/or Microsoft FrontPage 2003 - both of which are excellent programs.

My own view is that books are less helpful than hands-on experience, although others may think differently. Work with the software, create a site (no matter how basic) and publish it to your server space. Then you can experiment and refine your design until eventually you begin to feel at home with the program you've selected to use. This isn't a rapid process, but it's a satisfying one - at least in the end it is. We'll be on hand to help you through the tricky bits - post a url for your site when you feel ready, it will help us to help you.

Revi 23:21 16 Oct 04

Thanks again for your prompt reply. I will try to get myself NetObjects Fusion and/or Microsoft FrontPage 2003 as early as possible, perhaps by the end of next week and will revert immediately as I get down to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…