personal attacks

denis93c 04:17 16 Aug 03

no not the blaster,but personal attacks.
how can i with the ip address warn the attackers to stop,or put the frightners on them.
please advise.

terminus 05:47 16 Aug 03

the address

Andsome 07:37 16 Aug 03

Install mail washer

Forum Editor 07:45 16 Aug 03

to 'put the frighteners' on anyone - you'll be inviting trouble. I doubt that you are being attacked personally anyway, I imagine that what you are referring to are alerts coming from your firewall, and these will mainly be benign network activities. As a home user the chances of you being personally targeted by anyone for malicious purposes are remote in the extreme.

By far the best thing to do is to leave your firewall to get on with its job, which it will do automatically. Tell it not to warn you each time there's an inbound probe, and enjoy your computing in peace.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:49 16 Aug 03

You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone elses'.

The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected, these queries are called handshakes. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice and all these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and webpages to your IP which is, in effect, your mailbox or receiving station.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked.

G

The Sack 12:25 16 Aug 03

Although i agree you are unlikey to to get hacked on a home PC you cannot just dismiss every attempt to connect to your PC as handshakes.

I have in the past had over 1000 portscans in less then 5 seconds, hardly the actions of a website checking that i am still there. Portscanners are automated, they do not discriminate between a home PC or a business PC, they just do blind sweeps over an IP range looking for open ports, if you have an open port you will as viable a target as anyone else.

Although not a hacker that is all the MSBLaster worm did, it scanned for systems with port 135 open and look how successfull that was in spreading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…