personal anti virus

raziel08 20:18 28 May 09

i have been handed a laptop to sort out an infection. there is a anti virus program which keeps popping up and asks you to register. I'm certain that it is fake, has anyone any advice on how to get rid of it? i have run malwarebytes and avg but it is still there. also a critical systems warning is appearing saying that the laptop (which is xp) has been infected with trojan.win32.agent.azsy

any advice is welcome

Halmer 20:38 28 May 09

click here but it might be worth a further look.

tullie 20:55 28 May 09

What does the popup say?Maybe its Avast which asks you to register after a period,if so it may not be protecting you,as it will no longer be receiving updates.Or as you say its fake.But if it is a dodgy program,which anti virus is actually being used?Oops,just noticed that its AVG,is it up to date?

birdface 21:03 28 May 09

Try running malwarebytes in safe mode.

birdface 21:17 28 May 09

Make sure you have the latest version of malwarebytes installed.

click here

lotvic 21:19 28 May 09

"Personal Antivirus is a rogue anti-spyware created by company named Innovagest 2000 and is a clone of General Antivirus and Internet Antivirus Pro. This program is advertised through the use of Trojans that display fake security alerts on your computer. These alerts will contain messages stating that your computer is under attack or that malware has been detected running on your computer. When you click on these alerts, Personal Antivirus will be installed on your computer and automatically be configured to run when you start Windows. When running, it will scan your computer and display a variety of infections that cannot be removed unless you first purchase the program. In reality, though, these infections are all fake and are only be shown to scare you into purchasing the program"

How to remove Personal Antivirus (Removal Guide) using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Mbam) from bleeping computer.com click here

it also lists the entries that Personal Antivirus makes on your pc.

raziel08 21:25 28 May 09

thanks for that. i am unable to update malwarebytes despite allowing it to work through the firewall. i suspect that it is the fake anti virus which is preventing it. Oddly it has allowed me to update avg.

lotvic; will try out your suggestion and let you know.

thanks to all will keep you updated

lotvic 21:38 28 May 09

You also need to run SUPERAntiSpyware click here
Like Mbam it is an 'on demand' so only runs a scan when you start it and is inactive rest of time

A useful prog to install that does run all the time is SpywareBlaster and it doesn't clash with any antivirus programs you have running.
"Spywareblaster is a blocker and works away in the background,just check for updates once a week and enable all protection for your browsers.This will stop most spyware actually trying to install without your knowledge." (quoted from one of skidzy's posts)

SpywareBlaster click here

birdface 23:38 28 May 09

Right try this one.it is a pay for program but you get a thirty day trial and it will remove all it finds.If it tries to get you to pay for it ignore it and carry on with the scan,

click here

It may not clean your computer completely but it will let you update any security programs that you have.
So update Malwarebytes and run that as well.

woodchip 23:49 28 May 09

Why not run a Online Scan?

Run any of these click here
They do not load the AV to drive

woodchip 23:52 28 May 09

Also try Removeit click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple