Persistent registry error on XP startup

Purrfling 20:13 29 Aug 04

I now get this error box every time I start up XP (just after I log into my passworded user account):
"One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."
I am the sole user of my newish P4 PC, which has never shown any instability.
The problem began after I installed the software with my new USB sound box (Creative SoundBlaster). I uninstalled - still happened; I re-installed - still happens; I went to do a virus check and found Norton Internet Security 2004 corrupt and unremovable [I found a solution to that and have posted it in another thread]; NIS is reinstalled and working; the USB SoundBlaster works fine, but I still get the message /every/ time XP starts up.
I found another forum where the problem had been noted by several XP users, always related to software installation or removal, and no-one had an answer. I cannot find anything in Microsoft knowledge base. Does anyone here have any idea please? Is it a genuine registry problem? Is the registry fine and the message redundant?
Many thanks!

VoG II 20:22 29 Aug 04

Try running a registry cleaner - RegscrubXP is good click here

Purrfling 23:59 29 Aug 04

Thank you, VoG™. I have followed this advice, and the problem is cheerfully unaltered. Since posting my original query I find that my Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Reader are not recognised as installed on my system, although their folders and files are still in place on the C: drive; I have had to 'reinstall' them to get the system to recognise them again (eg to respond to double clicking on a supported file or to clicking on a shortcut). It looks horribly as though something has happened to my registry.
I should add that I tried an XP system restore when I first started getting the reported registry problem, but my system was unable to comply and when I looked again all my earlier restore points had disappeared.
I would be very grateful for any further thoughts.

VoG II 07:36 30 Aug 04

You could try click here

Purrfling 21:11 04 Sep 04

Thank you for that thought, VoG™. The procedure sounds very drastic for a machine that boots up and functions OK. I have not noticed any of my repairs becoming recorrupted: I am hopeful that whatever happened was a one-off event. But I still see that darn error message every time!
Unfortunately I cannot try the procedure anyway, as I have a machine with an OEM-installed version of XP.
Another option I came across was to reinstall XP over itself though authorities differ over the wisdom of trying it. It will be interesting to see what happens when I come to install SP2.
I would be very grateful for any further advice or pointers you can give me.

CurlyWhirly 21:56 04 Sep 04

I had this EXACT same error last year and to solve it I downloaded the trial version of Registry Clean Pro at click here and as it DID cure my problem I went on to buy the full version as it was only a few £ and I have been using it regularly ever since!
I hope it works for you as it did for me.
CW

Purrfling 21:55 05 Sep 04

Thank you for your advice, CurleyWhirley. I downloaded Registry Clean Pro with great hope, ran it... and the dreaded message is still there. I guess I shall just have to learn to love it! Apart from the message itself my system now seems fine. I am reluctant to take drastic action. It's that nagging worry - why? is there a deep seated problem in my system? Since my last posting I have downloaded and install SP2. That went extremely smoothly, but has not banished the error. Any further thoughts gratefully received!

CurlyWhirly 22:07 05 Sep 04

Sorry it didn't work for you.
I hope you get it sorted as it is a real pain isn't it?
CW

stalion 22:15 05 Sep 04

just a thought does your version of norton have
find and fix problems
if so you could try running it

Dan the Confused 22:49 05 Sep 04

click here response number 3?

pharte 23:09 05 Sep 04

I have had exactly the same problem but caused by the software for my fuji camera.

It never caused a problen , it was just an annoyance.

I have upgraded to xp pro and tried to install only to get the same problem........ dunno if I'm gonna keep the software or just use a card reader.

hope this sheds some light on your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…