Perplexing sound problem

GRFT 15:22 17 Jan 05

All of a sudden I can't get audio files on the hard drive or from CDs to produce sound through the speakers, even though Windows sound is OK and diagnostics such as DirectX and the Manager the comes with the on-board sound shows that the speakers are OK. The MS Media Player shows the track list and displays the waveforms as the CD is playing as normal. To add to the confusion headphones plugged into the front panel of the CD player reveals nothing whatever even though the active led is flashing. This happens on both the players connected to the system. The only thing I've done recently is reinstall the printer USB driver, and the PC hasn't been opened up in months. I just don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Stuartli 16:43 17 Jan 05

Have you checked Sound and Audio Devices Properties from Control Panel?

You could also/might have inadvertently muted one or more input/output panels from the sound mixer or muted the sound in Windows Media Player or similar utility.

alan227 16:46 17 Jan 05

Have you tried right clicking the speaker icon (by the clock) click open volume control and check that non of the mute boxes are ticked.

GRFT 08:35 18 Jan 05

Thanks for the suggestions,but everything is now OK!
Anyway, the audio diagnostics had revealed that nothing was wrong with sound system, and the speakers performed normally apart from being mute when trying to play sound files from the hard drive and CDs. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, Avance AC'97 VIA audio controller, which made made no difference. After opening up the case for a visual which, as I expected, revealed nothing amiss, I then decided to check out the CD drives by copying and burning a CD from one drive to the other This worked OK and the CD played back on the stereo no problem. To my surprise it was also OK on the PC, and the sound is now restored to normal,but I've no idea what the problem was or what I did to fix it.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017