Permissions with Vista and XP (SP3)

LennieAJ 12:47 04 Aug 09

Running laptop with Vista and main PC with XP (SP3. We both are administrators on both but I appear unable to copy/move my files between the computers and get "destination folder access denied You need permission. . . ". I appear not to be able to take ownership tho' I created the files! I have got round it my copying to a pen drive and then on to which computer I need to. When I first set things up they copied backwards and forwards with no probs. Can anyone help?

Lennie

bb_r620 18:58 04 Aug 09

if you can't copy to the laptop [vista] then you may not have user similar accounts/password on both systems.

you can also try going [on vista] into control panel/network and sharing centre and under sharing and discovery section, turn off password protected sharing [although if you have same username password on both systems then you can leave this enabled].

LennieAJ 15:55 05 Aug 09

Neither computer has passwords and the accounts have the same user names on both so any other ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 05 Aug 09

files sharing not permitted on the XP machine

make sure your permissions are set correctly on the XP machine

Access Files XP Home
Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
or
click here
or
click here and click on the link at part one and download the required program.
Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

LennieAJ 18:58 05 Aug 09

Will try these out and hopefully it should work. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017