Permissions on external hard drive from previous laptop

Thelegend 22:29 30 Jul 13

Hi, my previous laptop running Windows 7 died. I managed to salvage the hard drive which I can access on my new laptop, no problem. I also used at external hard drive (western digital passport) to back up my files. My new laptop has Windows 8 but I don't think that's the problem. It sees my external hard drive (passport) and all files but won't let me play/copy/move the music files because of permission issues. As I try to enter each folder it says I don't have permission, so I can go into properties, security etc and add my current 'admin' details, which allow me to eventually see into each folder and find the songs, but that's as far as I can get. I've tried trying to 'share' the drive, same problem. I'm guessing the passport wants my 'old laptop' admin details - which I don't know! I just used to plug it in and away I went! If it helps I've managed to find the 'western digital folder on my recovered 'internal' hard drive from the old laptop, which has the back up data references, and some notepad files saying 'DO NOT MODIFY', with some confusing looking registry stuff contained therein. Could that hold the key? Confused and frustrated! Help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Graphicool1 11:02 31 Jul 13

Try clicking...

My Computer> Right click the external drive in question> Click 'Properties'.

Click the tab marked 'Security'. Click 'Edit' to change permissions.

If that doesn't work, at the bottom of this window, Click the 'Advanced' button. In this section you'll find a selection of permissions via the tabs you can try.

Secret-Squirrel 12:29 31 Jul 13

Following on from Graphicool's advice, in the "Advanced" section at the top make sure you're the "Owner". If you're not then click the "Change" link.

Next, set the permissions for the "Administrators" group to "Full Control". Lastly, and most importantly, make sure you tick the option to Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object as that'll assign the same settings to all folders and files on the drive.

Click "Apply" when you're done and be prepared for quite a long wait for the changes to complete.

Thelegend 19:08 31 Jul 13

Guys, thanks so much - I really thought I had exhausted all options! It was changing the 'owner' details and 'Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object' that cured the problem. Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac