Permissions?!

Terrylr 21:41 22 Nov 05

Hi,

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to offer me some advice!

My operating system on my old hard drive has failed in my laptop so I have purchased a replacement. I have added the old hard drive via an external caddy and can see the contents etc.

My problem is that I am unale to access the contents of 'My Documents' I get 'access denied'. Obviously because I am not the correct user!!
Can anyone offer any advice!?

Old Hard drive - Windows XP Home
New Hard drive - Winndows XP Professional

Both drives NTFS

Many Thanks

VoG II 21:43 22 Nov 05

You need to take ownership click here

Terrylr 21:47 22 Nov 05

That's the first thing I looked for... not there!!!

I only have a 'sharing' tab - no security!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 22 Nov 05

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed.

First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

Terrylr 22:00 22 Nov 05

Well done Fruit Bat /\0/\ !!

I didn't know that tick box existed!!

Thanks VERY much!!!

ade.h 22:10 22 Nov 05

I had that same problem recently too!

One thing to remember - I found that I had to take the opportunity to move the files to an accessible folder while still in safe mode. I'm not sure why this happened - I may not have changed the permissions correctly, even though they appeared to have been changed and confirmation appeared when the process was complete.

To be on the safe side, move the files in safe mode as soon as you have successfully changed the permissions, rather than rebooting first. It might save a bit of effort!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…