Permanently 'acquiring network address'

grrrr 13:24 04 Dec 05

Hi people! Hope you can help. I have a simple home network - my computer as the access point with a Netgear DG834G router/modem, my stepdaughter's laptop with a Netgear WG111 USB adapter. All has been working fine for months. Suddenly her connection on the laptop just disappeared and it wouldn't pick up the name of our network. I reinstalled the software (has to be done through Netgear's own software and not Windows),, and now it recognises my network, says it is connected, says the signal strenth is excellent, BUT it still won't connect to the internet because there is an icon saying it is "acquiring network address." And it is doing this permanently!!!! I have checked that the laptop is set to automatically acquire IP address, which it is, but this makes no difference. What have I done wrong or what step have I missed out? What do I do to sort it?!?! Thanx in advance for any help...

ade.h 17:59 04 Dec 05

Stab in the dark here - Have you tried setting the IPs manually? I assume your ADSL provider gives you a fixed IP.

In my limited experience of networking, the manual approach doesn't necessarily work (see my threads recently!!) but give it a go. You can always change it back to automatic.

grrrr 19:06 04 Dec 05

Sorted people! Not sure quite what I did, but it's working, so who cares?!?! Thanx Ade for your response, though I didn't use it in the end...!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…