periodic reboot problem

johnsims 14:31 04 Jun 04

This has had me scratching my head. Over the last few weeks my PC has rebooted itself on perhaps 8 or 10 occasions as if the power went off for a second then back on. It happens when I close several Internet Explorer windows in a row (by clicking on the X close box top right). Cannot say for certainty how many, but between 4 an 8 say. Bizarrely, it is not every time I do this. PC reboots, runs scandisk and all is ok.
I have up to date NAV, Spybot, Adaware, Pest Patrol: none shows anything mischievous.
It is not a power problem (at least in terms of supply) as I have a UPS and it is working perfectly.

I am completely mysified. Anyone got any ideas as to possible/probable cause?

johnsims 18:02 04 Jun 04

Anybody got any ideas?

Kate B 18:11 04 Jun 04

Mmm, you haven't got an 80GB Maxtor HD have you? see my earlier posting ... "Computer toast"

User-312386 18:21 04 Jun 04

here is what to do

right click "My computer">select properties>advanced tab, now click on the settings button for "start up and recovery" and untick the "Automatically restart"

Next time this happens the computer will not restart, but you will get a blue screen which will give you the exact error, write it down then come back to us

johnsims 18:25 04 Jun 04

Thanks for the response.

Kate B
No, don't have a Maxtor HD

Will try that and see what happens. It is intermittent so I'll try and force the issue.

temp003 06:58 05 Jun 04

If you use XP, click Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter to look at the System log. Look for the error entries, double click an error item to see if the information makes any sense. If it points to the same cause, that's the thing to troubleshoot. If the cause of the error seems to be random, check your memory.

johnsims 10:41 05 Jun 04

Thanks for that, will do as you suggest and post back.

johnsims 11:26 05 Jun 04

Looked at event viewer. Nothing logged under secrity. Only Information logged under system.
Seven errors logged under application. Six of these refer to explorer.exe as faulting application, faulting address 0x35539b5f. The other error refers to itouch (logitech cordless stuff).
Reference to MS web site is not a lot of help (surprise surprise!)
Is that a memory address? If so could it be corrupted?

User-312386 16:16 05 Jun 04

update your itouch software click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…