Performance Drag

Ms_Dial 19:40 24 May 03

My PC, an e-machine 433i, has begun dragging even more than usual. I just recently installed Norton Systemworks 2003 and immediately my PC began performing slower. Unlike Systemworks 2000 this version doesn't have the Antifreeze function included which was a big help whenever it would stop responding. I've removed programs that I was no longer using in hopes of restoring more memory. It hasn't really helped. I have folders left from old programs, (i.e. Callwave, Algerbra, etc.). Can I delete these to increase memory? Also, it now boots up incredibly slow. What can I do to boot faster?

*Out of a 4GB drive I have 1.6 GB left.

system works does tend to consume a lot of memory, make sure you only have those parts you need starting with windows . uninstalling old programs will help your system but probably wont save much memory if they are not in use. how much memory do you have?

Ms_Dial 20:17 24 May 03

1.6 GB.

1.6 GB is how much storage space you have not how much memory, i wouldnt reccomend running NSW2003 unless you have a minimum of 128MB ram.
check your system information to find out how much RAM you have. (press the windows KEY and pause/break for quick access to the system.cpl or use system information in accessories/system tools.

Ms_Dial 01:26 02 Jun 03

Sorry about lack of response! Been unable to get on computer lately. As you see, my PC has only 32MB RAM, but NAV2003 is installed already and functioning. Back to my original question though, what can I do to boot faster?

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:01:51:59
Normal mode
On "OEMCOMPUTER" as "Default"
emachines
GenuineIntel Intel(r) Celeron(tm) Processor
32MB RAM
69% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1589MB free)
Available space on drive C: 1589MB of 4110MB (FAT32)

DieSse 01:49 02 Jun 03

Take Systemworks off again.

Get an AV program with the lowest overhead such as click here

Up the RAM to at least 128Mb, preferably 256Mb - 32Mb is waaay too low.

Clean everything you can off the hard drive before you run into serious space problems.

Run Diskclean to clear temp and internet cache files.

Download the trial of System Mechanic click here to clean junk files amd clean up the registry

Defrag.

You'll be amazed at the difference.

DieSse 01:50 02 Jun 03

PS - Systemworks in 32Mb is a real killer!!

wawadave 08:13 02 Jun 03

allso you might not want a lot of extra programs starting try this link
click here
click here
click here
click here

-pops- 08:38 02 Jun 03

Since the introduction of very large hard drives, software makers have paid scant attention to the size of the programs that they develop on the assumption that everyone has one of these gigantic drives.

Loading this heavily bloated software on a machine with more restricted capacity is far from ideal - as you are experiencing.

I my opinion you should not be deleting "useful" programs for the sake of something grossly overlarge that tells you that your programs are not working (or similar). Of course they aren't working - they aren't there.

It strikes of a case of carts before horses or something similar.

Do as DieSse recommends. You don't need Systemworks 2003 (or any other date). You will be amazed at the improvement.

Brian

Ms_Dial 23:00 02 Jun 03

If I delete NAV2003, how do I protect myself from viruses? I paid $65 for this memory hogger, grr. From what I understand about my PC I can't upgrade RAM w/o sending it back to e-machines. If I can, please, tell me how!

Also, I do clean my cache, scan disk, optimize files - dimwit, I may seem here, but I do know that much! :o)

Off to check out those links.

Thanks for all the advice.

DieSse 23:08 02 Jun 03

"If I delete NAV2003, how do I protect myself from viruses?"

click here

"From what I understand about my PC I can't upgrade RAM w/o sending it back to e-machines. If I can, please, tell me how!"

Your system must have at least one RAM slot. You simply buy a higher capacity one and change it. The easiest way is to quote your system to click here who will advise you on the correct module to purchase, and apparently guarantee that they've supplied the correct one.

No one doubts your competance, but of course we can never tell what it is from an initial post!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…