Performance difference: Athlon XP 2400+ Vs. 3200+

NinkyRudes 14:17 24 Mar 05

This post supersedes my earlier post entitled "What is the fastest socket A processor ever made?"

So I have an XP 2400+, I want the most out of my mobo (it's not my main machine), and TomJerry pointed me in the direction of the XP 3200+.

My new question is: will I notice a jump in performance (2.0GHz -> 2.2Ghz clock speeds)? I guess AMD have streamlined the technology in the 3200, but is it worth my money?

The machine is fitted with a Jetway V600DAP Socket A mobo, 256Mb Geforce6600GT graphics, 1.25GB PC3200 RAM & 2 ATA-133 80Gb Maxtor HDDs. It is used mainly for gaming (my little home network), but also some video editing, as well as Windows XP 2005 M.C. Edition.

Will my >£80 be well spent? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of a good CPU fan, or would the one bundled with a retail Sempron 2300+ suffice for cooling?

I am trying to treat these issues technically, but if anyone thinks that gaming-related issues should be posted elsewhere, let me know in response to this thread, I would be interested to find out. Most of my threads have nothing to do with gaming, but I feel that constructive advice in this thread would be of help to gamers & non-gamers alike.

Thanks, Nick.

NinkyRudes 15:05 24 Mar 05

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was looking to order the new processor today (for delivery some time next week hopefully!), so any help at all would be much appreciated.

TomJerry 15:22 24 Mar 05

xp2400 to P4 3GHz (Northwood), also memory from 512 to 1Gb, same HDD, different board

50% performance in number cruching (benchmarked), notice no difference in any other task

961 15:26 24 Mar 05

Sorry, but I think in practical terms you will not notice much difference, certainly not £80's worth

NinkyRudes 15:27 24 Mar 05

I suppose it couldn't hurt, since the PC will also be used for analog to digital video editing, so hopefully it'll cut down encoding times. I'll probably go ahead and buy it anyway.

Cheers for your help TomJerry, in this and the other post. Nobody deems to be very interested in processors today, but you've been most helpful.

freaky 15:29 24 Mar 05

The increase in CPU speed from 2400 to 3200 would be barely noticeable, and would not justify the extra £80, especially as you have a 256mb Graphics Card.

Chegs ® 15:36 24 Mar 05

I have worked my way up from AMD 550 to AMD2600 over a few years.I use my PC for alsorts,gaming(Ti4800se)video rendering(in the last couple of years)and general hacking of XP(customising)My last CPU upgrade was from XP1800 to XP2600.I haven't really noticed much difference in performance(attributable to CPU)but upping RAM from 512Mbs PC133 to 1.5Gb PC2700 made a hefty increase.I can play NFSU at the same time as I am rendering a video,with barely a stutter in game.As rendering takes a while,I tend to set the PC off and bogoff to bed so times taken are irrelevant to me.There is little point in changing your CPU,as the increase wouldn't be much,instead of taking 9 nanoseconds to open a prog it will only take 8 nanoseconds.

I tend to think along the lines of,if it works and does all you ask,why bother to change it.

NinkyRudes 15:56 24 Mar 05

I've decided to stick with the 2400 after all. I mean, Doom 3 is running at over 45 fps @ 1024x768 on high detail. ;->

961 16:43 24 Mar 05

Yes, it's the memory what does it

NinkyRudes 16:51 24 Mar 05

Yep, I think so. The machine started with 256Mb, and ran many modern apps v. slowly, using virtual memory all the time. 1Gb later, everything is lightning fast.

The moral? If you have less than 1/2 gig of RAM at the moment, get it up to at least that, and ensure you are using the fastest memory available for your board. PC3200 (running at 400MHz) is the current 'industry standard'. I have been suprised by friends who have bought pre-assembled PCs from fairly respectable manufacturers, only to find they have PC2700 memory in a mobo geared up to take PC3200!

Windows XP users (even those who don't use particularly intensive programs), will notice performance improvements even when moving beyond 512Mb. XP eats RAM for breakfast.

rubella 01:30 25 Mar 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…