Performance deterioration in gaming laptop

Newkay 18:58 01 Jan 14

Hi there,

I have a Gigabyte p2542g gaming laptop (used for those purposes) that I've had for just over a year now. On purchasing the performance was as expected for a laptop of its specs, however, now, with games that I could run fine on high settings at a high resolution can now only run smoothly on much lower settings at half the resolution I used to be able to play at. I'd say performance is at 1/4 of what it used to be. It doesn't seem to be a software issue as I've just formatted and the same issues remained.

The primary symptom of the performance issues is overheating. I can literally burn my hand on the underside of the laptop when I run a game. I also get blue screens/straight crashes between 1-3 times a day.

My speculation is that I've knocked or bumped it whilst travelling with it and hardware has been affected, though I can't be certain.

I'd really appreciate any advice on understanding/finding a solution to this, as I'm fairly lost. I've considered warranty but this is my only computer and I doubt it's within its warranty...

Many thanks.

wee eddie 20:36 01 Jan 14

Firstly: When you first got it, it had no extra software loaded, nothing running in the background and very little stored on the hard drive. Now there are probably many games loaded, several programs running in the background and a clutter of rubbish on the Hard Drive. Also the Fans and heat-sinks are probably clogged with dust.

Run CCleaner and your Windows Defrag, and then get rid of all the gunge inside of it.

That may get you some of the way back to where you want to be.

Secret-Squirrel 21:17 01 Jan 14

"The primary symptom of the performance issues is overheating. I can literally burn my hand on the underside of the laptop when I run a game. I also get blue screens/straight crashes between 1-3 times a day."

An overheated computer can cause poor performance and the other symptoms you describe. When overheating is suspected I normally recommend downloading and running a temperature monitoring utility such as HWMonitor. On this occasion I don't think that's necessary if the laptop's running so hot it's burning you.

Most problems like this can be resolved quickly with a can of compressed air and a few minutes of your time. Have a look at "Step 1: Remove dust and lint by cleaning vents" on this webpage.

A can of air shouldn't cost more than around £7 so it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't cure all your symptoms.

Newkay 22:38 01 Jan 14

Thanks guys. Someone else has recommended to me to clean the vents with compressed gas as well so I'm definitely going to be doing that and hoping it is the solution the laptop needs.

As far as software/bloatware, I formatted recently and installed nothing but the necessary drivers (including graphics of course) and the performance issues remained, though slightly less so as I'd had some virus damage pre-format.

I'll post my results on de-clogging.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…