The perfect Home Server???

jonnytub 19:04 23 Aug 04

Hi all, i have an old toshiba laptop, 1.13ghz 512 ram, xp pro, 20 gb hdd, external hd 160gb.

I was thinking about building a networked home server out of it to satisfy my uncurable curiosity, (basically to see if i can).
Before i thought about recycling an old pc to do the job but didn't want the bulk of an atx tower in my coat cupboard. Then i remembered my wife's laptop that was basically resigned to the back of the cupboard once the novelty factor wore off and has been there ever since.

I thought that due to the size of this machine, built in screen and keyboard, fact that if the power went out the battery could support the machine for a good 4-5 hours without the screen flipped up, it would be perfect as a slimline home server i could stick just about anywhere. Has anyone used a laptop before as a server, what sort of obstacles can i expect, what would you guys recommend the os of choice to be for servers??

Also any other advice would be appreciated.

smokingbeagle 19:17 23 Aug 04

click here
Sorry about pointing you to another forum, but it has most of the info you require. I am planning to use a P2 400Mhz using Smoothwall - if I ever get time off from the drudgery that is work.

spikeychris 19:28 23 Aug 04

There are no obstacles and I see laptops as servers all the time. Force the laptop to stay powered up and your sorted.

jonnytub 20:00 23 Aug 04

many thanks fella's, any ideas about os? linux perhaps?

jonnytub 20:16 23 Aug 04

how do yo mean "force the laptop to stay powered up"?, you mean make sure it doesn't go into standy, switch disks off etc,??

jonnytub 20:17 23 Aug 04

how do yo mean "force the laptop to stay powered up"?, you mean make sure it doesn't go into standby, switch disks off etc,??

jonnytub 20:18 23 Aug 04

spot the difference :-D

Mister Splendid©®™! 20:54 23 Aug 04

Gold star for me :-)))))

smokingbeagle 21:24 23 Aug 04

Both IPCop and Smoothwall (see posting above) work as stand alones.

jonnytub 21:52 23 Aug 04

Many thanks for that, posted before i had fully read your link. Already got the bootable cd done and raring to go, i will let you guys know how i get on, no doubt in the form of a posting in the helproom lol.

Mister Splendid©®™! ***** thats five gold stars :-)

jonnytub 00:02 24 Aug 04

anymore suggestions for os? smoothwall and ipcop don't recognise my network adaptor and so will not install, even through the manual selection and parameter setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…