PERCENT OF FREE DISC SPACE

Loomis 18:44 27 Apr 03

I RECENTLY DOWNLOADED AN UPGRADE FROM NORTON'S ANTI-VIRUS. AFTER THE DOWNLOAD I NOTICED THAT THE PERCENTAGE OF FREE DISC SPACE WENT FROM 68% TO 71%, AND MY GIGABYTES FROM 8.68 TO 9.71. I'VE SEEN THIS SAME INCREASE BEFORE. BEING SOMEWHAT NEW TO COMPUTERS, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN DOWNLOAD SOMETHING AND YOUR AVAILABLE FREE SPACE INCREASES. I E-MAILED EARTHLINK SUPPORT,AND THEY SAY WHENEVER YOU DOWNLOAD ANY SOFTWARE,YOUR DISC SPACE SHOULD INCREASE. BUT THEY DIDN'T SAY HOW OR WHY, SO I'M STILL CONFUSED. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME IN LAYMAN'S TERMS? THANK YOU

powerless 18:48 27 Apr 03

Well Earthlink are right in what they are saying, When you download something it all gets put onto your disc, so some disc space is taken up.

If you follow this path...

Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

Now find and click "Disk Cleanup" This will remove any unwanted files.

spikeychris 18:50 27 Apr 03

Well, Loomis it depends what the download was. If its a program that cleans and empties files and folders then you will get an increase in size.

Quote:> "I E-MAILED EARTHLINK SUPPORT,AND THEY SAY WHENEVER YOU DOWNLOAD ANY SOFTWARE,YOUR DISC SPACE SHOULD INCREASE"......what a load of rubbish...

PS just give that Caps lock a tap.

Chris

spikeychris 18:51 27 Apr 03

?

powerless 18:54 27 Apr 03

Whoops i made a biggie mistake there.

I didnt read INCREASE i read DECREASE somehow.

Ironman556 19:01 27 Apr 03

Do Earthlink mean 'disk space' as in 'disk space used'?

Loomis

Do you have any programs set on a schedule to automatically clean up? It may just have been coincidence that you finished the download and they system cleaned itself. It could explain why you've seen the increase before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…