Pentium v AMD in Desktop PC?

Green Eyes 18:36 27 Feb 10

Hi, I wonder if I can ask for a spot of advice? I am looking to buy a new desktop PC and the two I have shortlisted have Pentium Duo E5400 2.70GHz and Athlon II 240 2.80GHz processors both with 2MB cache and 2Gb RAM.

I will be using the PC for standard office applications plus the odd download and a lot of surfing (usually with multiple open browsers).

Would I notice any significant difference between the two processors?

Another machine I had my eye on has a slightly lower Pentium Duo E5300 2.60GHz (2Mb cache) and I am also wondering if I would notice any differences between the different Pentiums?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Technotiger 18:42 27 Feb 10

I really doubt that you would notice any significant difference between any of them.

MarvintheAndroid 19:12 27 Feb 10

+1

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:35 27 Feb 10

No difference between the Pentiums or the Pentium/AMD...go for the cheaper and with the money saved by a memory stick for backups, this will save your life one day.

G

Green Eyes 13:40 04 Mar 10

Thanks for the advice and Gandalf - I started using a memory stick backup some time ago!

MAT ALAN 15:17 04 Mar 10
  donki 17:10 04 Mar 10

On paper the 2 Intels are better, in practice for general usage you wont notice much difference.

What I would say is the AMD is a newer chip which has AMD's latest socket which means that when buying a motherboard it would be better for future upgrades as AMD's newer more pwerful chips are AM3. Also the Athlon II 240 is compatable with DDR3 Ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5