Pentium III Running Temperature

rotate 12:47 17 Sep 03

I have a Pentium III 1GHz processor which has always run at what I have been told is a high temperature. I have a Coolermaster heat sink and fan plus 2 case fans, one inhaling and one exhaust. These are finely balanced and the Coolermaster is running at around 3500 rpm. The temp of the CPU reports back at being 74c and reaches a maximum of 77c under stress. According to Intel?s CPU spec site, this processor?s temp spec is at 80c. Does this mean it should run at around this temperature and so 74c would be good or is 80c the maximum temp before damage to the processor occurs.
My system is over a year old and I have never had a problem but it is just the fact that I have been told that this is hot.
Also if I turn the Coolermaster up to full to sound like a jet engine the CPU temp will not go any lower then 74c.
Before I had the Coolermaster the running temp was 76c.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tog 14:00 17 Sep 03

Turn off the case input fan and see what the temperature does.

rotate 14:47 17 Sep 03

I am using a program called SpeedFan and so can control all the fan speeds from my desktop. I have now turned off the input fan but nothing changed. I have since changed all the fan speed settings to various speeds including stopping the case fans but the temp remains the same. SpeedFan also monitors the CPU temp and this matches up with the BIOS temp reading....still at 74c.

Tog 07:36 18 Sep 03

Check the processor is really 1GHz and not overclocked. Intel have an identification utility click here

If it's OK I would guess that your heatsink is not making good contact. Have a look at Intel's troubleshooting guide

click here

Hope this is of use

rotate 08:00 18 Sep 03

I can confirm that it is a 1GHz P3. Thanks for the site references. I have followed Intels instructions. Firstly removing the heat sink and replacing with fresh thermal paste. I have downloaded from Intel the processor frequency ID utility which I will run this evening once home from work. I have also downloaded the latest BIOS for my Motherboard but won?t be able to do anything until this evening. Thanks for the info and will let you know if things get cooler.

rotate 08:17 19 Sep 03

Did all what I said I would do last night and still the same. Tonight I am going to put the original heatsink and fan on and see what that does.

rotate 19:08 19 Sep 03

Have tried the original heatsink/cooler and the temp went up to 78c and peaked at 82c under stress. Have now put back the CoolerMaster and the temp is now back at 74 to 77c. Have updated to the latest BIOS. Have re-seated heatsink with fresh thermal paste. Guess I will just have to live with it. System works fine and does not slow down at all when the temp rises. Have a feeling now that I am getting a false reading somehow. Is that possible? Would appreciate any help on this.

rotate 08:50 26 Sep 03

Okay, is there anyone out there with a similar problem to mine? has anyone got a Pentium III 1GHz running at this sort of temperature or less? If not then I will close this thread as a ?don?t know what the answer is?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…