Pentium 4 verses Athlon

davepol01 16:37 27 Oct 03

Hi,

I'm buying a new pc and I'm trying to decide which CPU will give me the best performance, the Pentium 4 3.0GHz of AMD Athlon 3000+.

Any thoughts on which is better assuming they are in systems with similar specs?

Cheers

Dave

madPentium 17:15 27 Oct 03

Dont go for just performance, that's the first biggest mistake most people make.
What you want is 'stability' foremost. See if you can find out what mobo is in the unit and then you can see which chipset it has. Investigate this chipset to see if it has any problems. Some motherboards are great with athlons, others are murder.

The Sack 17:28 27 Oct 03

its swings and roundabouts at the end of the day. nForce 2 chipsets are fast and stable with Athlons but you cant judge and entire purchase on that.

holly polly 17:49 27 Oct 03

click here
read for yourself one of my earlier threads -regards -hol pol ...

Proxy Worm 19:29 27 Oct 03

I have Athlon 3000+ and it runs great, Athalon gives you reliable service and doesnt crash often and Pentium will give you preformance, your choice?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…