Pentium 4 CPU Upgrade Help

Rob_101 21:47 14 Mar 08

I want to get a new CPU 4 my PC. I currently have an E-Machines PC with a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 Socket 478 with a 400MHz FSB. I want to upgrade to a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 Northwood that is 800MHz. Will this work? Will I be able to swap them over and it will work? I know I will probably have to do a BIOS update. But will it be ok? It is an E-machines and I have heard that these cannot be upgraded. Am I right?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 14 Mar 08

Use SIW click here
to find out exactly what motheroard is fitted and then look at the manufacturers site to see what the maximum CPU / ram your board can take.

Totally-braindead 23:16 14 Mar 08

As Fruit Bat says, the deciding factor on whether you can do this or not is the motherboard and SIW should tell you the make and model of board.

It might be possible but its unlikely and if it can take the new processor the BIOS would almost certainly need updated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…