Pentium 4 2.8Ghz or 3.0 Ghz

CodeMeister 22:09 05 Nov 03

Hi

Could anyone please advise whether I am likely to get much of a performance gain from specifying a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT processor instead of a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT processor in a new computer ?

200 Mhz in the old days used to make a lot of difference but I don't think it offers such an increase these days.

I think that there is a price difference of about ?50(Ex VAT) between the two processors.

Obviously the 3.0Ghz will run hotter and require more cooling which I guess would make the system noisier.

My main use would be for programming in Visual Studio .Net and database work.

Are there any sites where I can get stats for power consumption, heat dissipation and performance for each processor.

I would be very greatful for any comments or advice that anyone might have.

Neo_0147 22:19 05 Nov 03

The 3.0Ghz one won't necessarily run hotter. There won't be a big differentce in temp at all, if any. If you can afford to get the 3.0Ghz get that, as it's more future proof cause ut's faster. But the 2.8Ghz will more than suffice. I presume you are getting the 800fsb models. You will probably not notice a significant difference, but there will be a small difference in performance. So would get the 3.0Ghz and plenty of high speed RAM for excellent of performance.

DieSse 23:15 05 Nov 03

Also presume you will get an 800FSB motherboard (to support the 2.8/3.0 HT models.)

Make sure it's got Dual channel RAM capability, and get two 400MHz RAM modules (one goes in each bank of slots) - for significantly faster RAM performance.

Personally I would save the dosh and get the 2.8GHz chip.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:26 05 Nov 03

There will be no difference that a mere mortal could distinguish. ther is a lot of gabble talked about processor speeds and a lot of it falls under the 'emperor's new clothes category. Fast processors are ONLY needed for serious gaming. For your applications a 2.0Ghz processor would be more than enough. Get a lower spec processor and with the oodles of cash saved you can glue in extra RAM until your MB shakes with fear...this WILL make a noticeable difference. Ypou can also invest in a separate HD with the money saved, this will save your commercial life one day.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:27 05 Nov 03

0/10 for spelling and basic comprehension then. :-((

G

CodeMeister 13:08 06 Nov 03

Thanks very much chaps, that's very useful advice.

CodeMeister 19:50 06 Nov 03

Hi

The system that I intend to get is the Dell Dimension with 875P chipset and 800Mhz FSB.

Looks like the 2.8Ghz will probably suffice but the ?50(Ex Vat) that I save won't buy me a lot of RAM at Dell's prices.

Still, 1Gb should be enough to keep me going for a while.

Interestingly, Dell's 1Gb of RAM is made up of 4 256Mb modules. Is that faster than having 2 512Mb modules, leaving two other RAM bays free for upgrading later ?

Otherwise, I will surely have to throw away one or more 256Mb modules if I wanted to increase the RAM in future.

I'm going for the Radeon 9800 graphics card instead of the Radeon 9800 Pro card which will also save me a couple of hundred pounds or more.

Thanks very much for everyone's help and advice so far.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:01 06 Nov 03

You are correct in going for the cheaper card, you will not notice any difference using your apps. 1Gb of RAM will be more than enough for your processes and I cannot forsee any need for upping from 1Gb. An external HD is worth contemplating with the money saved on the card.

G

CodeMeister 21:10 06 Nov 03

Thanks Gandalf

Yes, ?200+ for the pro version of the Radeon 9800 for someone that doesn't play games is a bit steep.

The external HD or second HD would be a good idea or I might get one of those USB pen drives for backing up some of my files and moving them from one PC to another. I think they're up to about 512Mb now and much better than burning a CD each time.

I don't think that I would notice much difference in performance between the 2.8Ghz and 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4.

madPentium 21:52 06 Nov 03

What about hyper threading or are all the newer processors built that way now?

DieSse 21:56 06 Nov 03

Put a second drive in a caddy - then you can clone to it at regular intervals, and keep a complete ready to run backup in a safe place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…