Pentium 200/w98se really slow (ok I know its old)

contractor 11:42 29 May 04

I bought a new computer and set my old one up for my son. I have uninstalled several programs and at first I got missing dll file message but replaced that.Its running W98se and was working pretty good until this. It takes an age to close down, if it actually closes. Any ideas please

Taran 13:48 29 May 04

You could try a third party shutdown utility to see if it helps: click here

Troubleshooting startup and shutdown problems is difficult at best since so many things can be affecting the process.

Normally shutdown issues can be linked to software that us still running in the background and failing to correctly unload during the shutdown process.

Some people find that TweakUI click here can help in tuning their computer. Some people don't.

All I can suggest in the short term is that you try the Ctrl, Alt, Del key combination to call up the task manager. This will tell you which programs are currently running and if you list them in here one of us may be able to help. Windows 98 requires Systray and Explorer to run. Everything else is optional although you have to be very, very careful about disabling features since you could prevent antivirus software or firewall software from running.

One more utility that can help is Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel click here

This gives you an icon your Control Panel that allows quick and easy disabling of programs and services from your startup menu. It's easier to use than MSCONFIG and arguably more effective.

Finally, have you tried posting this in the helproom ? You'll more than likely get a larger audience in there than in the WebDesign forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…