Pentax ACD See software annoyance and SP2

Totally-braindead 22:30 07 Jul 05

I have a Pentax digital camera which has bundled with it ACD See software, now I must admit I rather like this software and have got quite used to it so I was more than a bit annoyed yesterday when it wouldn't work when trying to print some photos from my niece in Australia. The problem appears to be with some of the updates after SP2 and there is a known problem with it according to Microsoft, the solution is to update to the latest version. Unfortunatly I can't do that as the software being bundled with the camera is not entitled to the updates.
ACD will let me download their latest software at a special price but I've just gone back to some other software I have instead. I understand the reasons for it but its annoying none the less. I presume that this may happen with any other software so if you're keeping your XP up to date as I do beware as it may affect something you really need.

jack 16:58 08 Jul 05

Try the 'Compatability' utility - and try running the program as Win 98 for example.

Right click the program and click on properties
or look in Windoze help under 'compatability'

Totally-braindead 21:15 08 Jul 05

Now theres an idea I never thought of, thanks very much jack I'll go try it now.

Totally-braindead 21:22 08 Jul 05

Didn't work I'm afraid but thanks for the suggestion.

Stuartli 22:29 08 Jul 05

As I don't know which version of ACD See you are using I couldn't check properly on the Pentax website; see if there are any downloads, updates or some advice apertaining to your case:

click here

Philwane 08:41 09 Jul 05

I have ACDSee 5 which came bundled with a Pentax Optio 555 camera.
I too am using sp2 and have all the latest updates for XP I have found NO problems using the program with XP SP2.
After reading your thread I tried the update using ACDSee In Touch which said my program was up to date no download needed.
I can't see why you should have a problem updating your software as it came bundled with a Pentax camera?
Did you register ACDSee when you first installed it? If not try reinstalling it and registering it you may then get the updates automatically

Best of luck

Totally-braindead 18:11 09 Jul 05

The version I have is the same as yours Philwane, I checked for updates but it is up to date, that is, up to date for version 5. According to Microsoft there is a known problem with older versions of ACDSee and some computers and the solution is to upgrade to the latest version which is version 7. I can't help wondering if there is some particular thing on my computer which together with the latest Microsoft updates is causing the problem as you say your computer is up to date and ACDSee still works. I think perhaps I'll go delete it and try reinstalling it and see if that does anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…