Pen/Flash Drives

Southernboy 13:47 16 Jan 06

Not sure what is the correct description. I am thinking of buying an Imation 1GB drive, but am unclear as to whether software is required.

Previously, I was told it was not required - just plug into the USB port and go. However, the Imation site states "management software available from Imation". Is this essential software? If it is, it is a non-starter as I do not download anything to my PC.

rmcqua 13:52 16 Jan 06

Generally, these devices do not need additional software. Windows recognizes them as a removeable storage device and allocates a new drive letter (at least that has been my experience and we use hundreds of them at my workplace).

Pamy 14:21 16 Jan 06

Usually only nead sofware for win 98. Not sure if thats what they call Management Software, but you could try looking at their website and see what they say about it

Pamy

alB 20:21 16 Jan 06

I use a 1GB Crucial drive, all I do is plug it in, it gets the next available drive letter, then just drag and drop files etc onto it, I can only presume that "management software" might allow you to password protect it or lock it in some way...alB

iscanut2 21:54 16 Jan 06

It will work straight out of the box by plugging it into a USB port, if you have USB2 so much the better. As alB says, the software will usually have some extras such as encryption, password control etc, but will not prevent it working as above.

iscanut2 21:55 16 Jan 06

PS..this assumes you have Win XP. Win 98 will need software normally.

PC Bilbo 23:15 16 Jan 06

Most pen drives will automatically be recognised By XP and Win2k. Many will not work with Win98 or ME unless a driver is available.

My original "Gizmo" (Samsung)from Crucial will work in Win98 with downloaded driver but more recent flash drives from Crucial won't work at all with Win98.

If you need it to work with Win98 check before buying.

martjc 09:34 17 Jan 06

...a small program which allows file management between the pen drive and PC. It should work fine without it by using standard drag'n'drop procedures.

Southernboy 23:13 18 Jan 06

I have WinXP SP2.

The Imation site does not explain what the management software does, but I am not bothered about encryption or passwords. It is just another handy backup option that I would like to use as I work during the day.

I always use Copy/Paste so I assume I can do this with the Imation drive? I am a bit ham-fisted with drag and drop.

ade.h 23:19 18 Jan 06

Hello Southernboy. Keeping well I hope?

The usual copy/paste or send to methods will work fine with any flash drive in XP SP2. You might like to add to the Explorer folder toolbars the Move and Copy buttons, if you haven't done so already. It replicates the options from the Edit menu and brings up a folder tree.

Southernboy 23:33 18 Jan 06

Thank you.

I was interested in your comment about Move and Copy - how do I do this, please?

Thanks for your good wishes - still fighting off the arthritis!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…